none
Proxy exclusion setting reliability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice with proxy exclusion settings. I honestly don't know where the problem lies, if could be IE, or GP, or Outlook, even.

We've been having various problems recently since switching to a new proxy server. We've deployed the new proxy settings via GP as normal, but seen various issues. Some people were having crashes on opening Outlook. Others were (and still are) finding Outlook works, but is unable to see free/busy information when booking meetings, or to set out-of-office. I found out that both of these were caused by requests outlook makes to the autodiscover service being proxied, so sent externally.

We updated out proxy exclusion list to include autodiscover.ourdomain.tld, but it didn't help. Our proxy exclusion list is quite long and includes *.ourdomain.tld, as well as an IP address range covering our internal servers. It seems like the proxy exclusions are just not applying. I've checked GP results on the console, and ran gpresult /R locally and verified that the correct policy objects are applying. Indeed, the exclusions are delivered - it's just that they don't work.

Can anyone point me to some best practice guides for proxy exclusion deployment, or perhaps troubleshooting tools? I've googled, but can't obviously see any.

The one thing I did find was a reference to an IE5 bug in which proxy exclusions would un-tick the 'bypass local addresses' tickbox if the proxy exclusion list was longer than 252 characters. Is this still a known issue? Our list is 267 characters.

Thanks for reading.

Al

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to verify if the issue only occurs on Outlook. How about viewing websites? If the proxy configuration only affects Outlook, I think it is better to post in Exchange Server forum to verify the proxy configuration.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/exchangesvrclients/threads

If the proxy configuration affects the whole networking, please post in Server Forum. It is not a simple Internet Explorer issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Aled_L Monday, December 5, 2011 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi Niki,

Thanks for your reply.

It's definitely a proxy problem rather than an outlook problem. Turning off proxies does in some cases resolve the outlook issue. Also we've seen some users around the same time start having difficulties accessing internal web servers.

I'll perhaps re-post in the server forum, as you suggest.

However I'd still like to know if there's any best practice guidance anywhere for deploying proxy exclusions. I haven't been able to find any that's reasonably recent.

Thanks

Al

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the following article is helpful.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939852.aspx

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Niki,

That section isn't really relevant as we are not using the IE customisation wizard, also since this is for IE5 I would worry that it is not current. However I think, as you said, this is more of a proxy than an IE problem.

Thanks

Al

Monday, December 5, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hello Al, 

Did you ever solve this issue? I would have messaged you directly but can't actually find a way to do that on this site. I have the situation that the autodiscover process from Outlook 2010 ignores our wpad served proxy exclusions entirely and you're about the only person I've found on the entire internet that has mentioned anything remotely like it.

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:07 PM