none
What is disk space requirement for Bare Metal and System Backup using DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 2008 SP2 protection Group,

Current Space of C: 27 GB Free and Total is 100 GB,

When I try to Backup Bare metal and system state backup I get b error. "DPM is out of disk space."

Also from the Protection Group I get error 

Backup attempted at '12-9-2013 17:31:36' failed to start, error code '2155348040'.

So , My question is

1 .How much space does it Required for Bare metal I give required space on DPM when creating backup

2. Is it required Free space on the Local drive of the protection group. for systemstate and bare metal

• Edited by p.th Friday, September 13, 2013 2:19 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Try this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e8567f2-d3f0-4e6d-a6a6-259827894e7a/dpm-2012-out-of-disk-space-during-bmr-backup

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Hi Mike ,

Thanks for reply

I tired your below link , but do I need to calculate every time for all server for BMR protection using this way only.

Is there any way from DPM itself to calculate required space for BMR.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, the answer is no. DPM just executes the wbadmin command and windows backup does the actual backup and DPM just becomes the depository and scheduler for that. For BMR, wbadmin includes all critical volumes and the size can vary based on what is installed on the server.   System State is a little more predictable, but again varies based on the roles installed on the server.  You can try to "average" it out by testing a few servers then adjust the replica volume size accordingly when you add them to the protection group.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:48 PM