Membership DB while farm backup / DR RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to setup FBA (form based authentication) with SQL membership provider. Assuming we create a DB called FBADB for storing membership information, we have following questions:

1. When we take farm backup, will it include FBADB? If not how can we automate back up / restore of FBADB to be part of farm back up / restore process?

2. How to setup DR (disaster recovery) site in case of FBA? How will the FBADB be kept up to date, so that whenever main server goes down DR server can be made up and start processing all the requests.

I tried searching on net, but I'm either getting results for "configuring FBA / membership provider" or typical "Sharepoint backup / DR". But not getting anything that talks about back up / DR settings for FBA.

Thanks & Regards, - Vivek Athalye
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:02 AM

Answers

• The regular SharePoint Farm backup will not backup the database used for Forms based authentication and there is no way to tell SharePoint to include that in the backup.  The Farm backup also won't backup changes made to the Web.config files to enable Forms based authentication.  You need to make sure these items are included in the regularly scheduled backup of your server environment.  The SharePoint Farm backup is not really sufficient for performing a full Disaster Recovery since it only backs up what is in the SharePoint databases.  The server OS, IIS metabase, and other supporting files (like the FBA database) are not backed up by a SharePoint Farm backup.  To fully recover a SharePoint farm you need backups of the Farm and each server in the farm.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:34 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that just writing a custom service app which ties in to that database would not automatically include that db in the backup process.  YOu would need to specifically write the service app to include the database in the backup process.

Also, including databases in the backup process really won't lead to a fail over dr solution.  For Failover you need to look at either SQL clustering or database mirroring.  Take a look at the following article on planning for availability.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824.aspx

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, August 5, 2011 7:30 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:31 PM

All replies

• The regular SharePoint Farm backup will not backup the database used for Forms based authentication and there is no way to tell SharePoint to include that in the backup.  The Farm backup also won't backup changes made to the Web.config files to enable Forms based authentication.  You need to make sure these items are included in the regularly scheduled backup of your server environment.  The SharePoint Farm backup is not really sufficient for performing a full Disaster Recovery since it only backs up what is in the SharePoint databases.  The server OS, IIS metabase, and other supporting files (like the FBA database) are not backed up by a SharePoint Farm backup.  To fully recover a SharePoint farm you need backups of the Farm and each server in the farm.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks your reply. I was wondering if there is any workaround for this and hence put up this question.

What I was thinking is that, if we create a custom service application and configure it in a way that our FBA DB gets associated with it, I assume our DB will get backed up / restored along with Full Farm backup. Is that right?

What is not clear to me is, will this also help in setting up a DR site that can be used for instantanious fail over? As soon as the main site (farm) goes down, all requests will be handled by DR site. Can we achieve this?

I understand that setting up a custom service application is a complex process and will be an overhead but if it helps in case of Fail-Over scenario, wouldn't it be worth?

For web.config changes I assume we will have to rely on scripts though.

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:24 AM
  • I'm pretty sure that just writing a custom service app which ties in to that database would not automatically include that db in the backup process.  YOu would need to specifically write the service app to include the database in the backup process.

Also, including databases in the backup process really won't lead to a fail over dr solution.  For Failover you need to look at either SQL clustering or database mirroring.  Take a look at the following article on planning for availability.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824.aspx

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, August 5, 2011 7:30 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

I was hoping that there will be some way or other to get it done via SharePoint itself. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:29 AM