none
Mailflow Between 2 DAG exchange 2013

Question

• Hi Folks,

I am migrating from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2. All servers are running Exchange 2013 CU 13. I have a DAG01 on Server 2008 R2 and DAG02 on Server 2012 R2. I have noticed an issue when users on DAG01 database emails user on DAG02 database, the email fails to deliver and errors out with.

Remote Server returned '550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired; message expired in unreachable destination queue. Reason: There is currently no route to the mailbox database.'

However DAG02 users can email DAG01 users.

I am seeing error in event log on Mailbox server where queue is build up

event 5015

Microsoft Exchange cannot find a route to the source transport server or home MTA server .....  in routing tables with timestamp 11/27/2016 3:03:21 PM. Microsoft Exchange is ignoring the source transport server.

event 5006

Cannot find information about owning Mailbox Server ..... in routing tables with timestamp 11/27/2016 3:03:21 PM. Recipients will not be routed to this database.

I have checked the permission on exchange server object, they seems to be fine with Inheritable permissions checked.

I have restarted transport services across all dag members but no difference

nothing specific show in ExBpa report

appreciate if someone can help me point in right direction to get this issue fixed.

Regards, Navdeep

Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:16 PM

All replies

• all servers are in same AD site

Regards, Navdeep

Sunday, November 27, 2016 9:33 PM
  • based on event 5015 & 5016, i have noticed that "Text Message Delivery Agent" connector is only visible thru emc not otherwise. We are not using any SMS notification, so to isolate the issue i have disabled this connector however I still see the issue event after restarting the transport service and queue retry

Regards, Navdeep

Sunday, November 27, 2016 9:35 PM
  • Hi Navdeep,

In general, event 5015 indicates that the Microsoft Exchange Server transport routing engine cannot route messages through the connector specified in the event description. Exchange has ignored the source transport server. This event may occur when one of the following conditions is true:

• The source transport server specified on the connector is not valid.

• The source transport server is not routable. For example, the source transport server cannot be found in the routing tables.

So, after disabling the "Text Message Delivery Agent" connector, we can try to restart Exchange 2010 servers, let the routing table is re-calculated and check if any helps.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Hi Niko,

I have restart the transport services and also rebooted the DAG node, set the logging on intraorgaconnector to verbose but i don't see any specific pointers. The issue is still there. btw, all servers are running exchange 2013 cu11.

Regards, Navdeep

Monday, November 28, 2016 9:03 AM
  • i have again tried to restart the service and force retry the unreachable queues and i get the following info event id 5044

We are doing a full mailbox database reload as part of routing tables loading due to: First read.

followed by 5006

Cannot find information about owning Mailbox Server CN=MBX03,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=contoso,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com for database CN=DB01,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=contoso,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com in routing tables with timestamp 11/28/2016 9:23:59 AM. Recipients will not be routed to this database.

Regards, Navdeep

• Edited by singh83 Monday, November 28, 2016 11:13 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 9:27 AM
  • This is an intermittent issue. I have sent 10 msgs covering internal/external mailflow 7 out of 10 made it through while 3 went into unreachable queues. The ratio may change but that shows the nature of this issue

Regards, Navdeep

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:02 AM
  • Hi Navdeep,

When you access EAC on server 2008 R2, can you see DAG2 members databases ?

And how did you migrate to server 2012 R2?

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Yes i can see all the members. I have created another dAG on 2012 and migrating users from dAG1 to DAg2.

Regards, Navdeep

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:06 AM
  • Hi Navdeep,

I recommend you run the following command to get more details about the queue from DAG01 servers, it may give us more clues to troubleshoot the issue:

Get-Queue Server1\contoso.com | fl

Note: This example displays detailed information for a specific queue that exists on the Mailbox server named Server1.

Moreover, we can try to move one Server out of DAG01 if possible, then use the user from this server to send emails  to DAG2 users, and check if the issue persist.

How to Remove a DAG Member in Exchange Server 2013

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Friday, December 2, 2016 8:06 AM