none
The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Online\SQLSERVER on HYPERV.xxxxx.xxx is inconsistent with the protected data source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi we had turned on replication on our Hyperv Server for our SQL server which is a virtual machine. This caused a issue with our DPM not being able to backup any of our SQL either to tape or disk. We turned off the replication on on Hyperv server for the sql vm, and this allowed the tape backup to start working. However when the express full backup runs now for the SQL virtual machine we get the replica is inconsistent error. On the HyperV server there is also a application event error generated. "A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f4, The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error is likely to reoccur.
    . Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:
       PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
       Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {6bb4bc68-faba-4ef5-954b-dd1c4a8a84a0}
       Command Line: C:\Windows\system32\vmms.exe
       Process ID: 2948"

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to clear this? I have tried rebooting both servers and search for solutions but nothing seems to deal with this issue. I was thinking about removing this backup from the Protection group on the DPM server and seeing if this resolves the issue.  Then adding it back in? Any suggestions? I am at a lose.

Thanks

bills150

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a look at the following link and see if resolves your issue:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn878172.aspx

My guess is you need to make sure that DPM is protection the replica of the virtual machine on the secondary server.

//Markus

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:58 AM