Lync 2013 Profile picture extension RRS feed

• Question

• Our company recently switched to Lync 2013 and I noticed that under "Settings/My Profile Picture" there is no longer an option to specify a profile image. In Lync 2013 you could at least set a picture with less than 30kb that is hosted on a webserver. The funny thing is I can use my Lync 2013 server account with the old Lync 2010 client and then I'm still able to set a profile picture (tested & woks). Seems as Microsoft just killed this feature in the client but not on the server (LOL!?!?).

I would like to write a tool to be able to set a picture without having to install the old Lync 2010 client. Any hints, solutions or something to read?

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:39 AM

All replies

• you're correct, the feature was removed from the Lync 2013 on its initial release, but the backend support for it remained in place. So ultimately all that was removed was the ability to get the picture in there through the 2013 client.

However due to popular demand the feature was re-introduced post release, but requires a custom client policy entry to be applied in your Lync environment for it to be visible in the 2013 client.

Follow the below link to implement the above and allow URL based profile pictures. Incidentally the file size of the image you referenced can also be adjusted in the same client policy if required.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jenstr/archive/2013/11/12/configuring-picture-from-a-web-address-in-lync-2013.aspx

Kind regards
    Ben

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems or queries.

Lync | Skype | Blog: Gecko-Studio

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:42 PM