Vista moves, copies, deletes files very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Whether I am copying files from a flash drive, moving files to a different folder or burning files to a DVD as backup, Vista takes forever to complete the task and often locks up. 

Has Microsoft addressed this issue?  Will it be fixed when fiji is released?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:22 PM

All replies

• I hope someone answers this.  I have the same problem.  I used to burn a full DVD in 12 min. and now it takes 45 min to an hour.  This is crazy!!!  Also, when I copy large files from a network drive, my computer sometimes freezes.  Yesterday it blue screened.  I would really be interested in finding out how to improve this performance.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 7:17 PM
  • I haven't gotten a Vista BSD yet, and I don't want one, either.  Try disabling the visual effects by using the Windows Classic theme.  I found my computer is 20 times faster that way.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 10:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem. Is there a patch available or settings that I can change. I cannot find any help on this. Can anyone here help me?
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:29 AM
  • The "bare minimum" for Vista is 512 MB RAM.  You may consider upgrading to 1GB of RAM.

If you're still not experiencing that performance you want, try going into Themes, and select Windows Classic.  This should disable all of the visual enhancements.

You may also consider investigating to see if your antivirus is taking up excessive memory.  I found out that my AVG was doing a full hard drive scan after each boot, and once I disabled it (by using the advanced startup settings), my computer ran normally.

Also, I've noticed that AIM takes up a huge amount of resources, and only run it while I'm IMing (which isn't often).  You may consider uninstalling it and using the AIM Express version that requires no install.

Running Windows Vista on the now "primitive" 3GHz computers is definitely a daunting task, but with time, technology will hopefully catch up with the new operating system-- and hopefully before Windows Vienna comes out!

Hope this helps, and God bless!

Bob

Monday, May 14, 2007 3:52 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am running a HP NC8430 notebook with 2gb ram, more than enough hardware. The time taken to delete and move files differs from time to time. Sometimes it can take 1 minute to delete a small file/set of files (500kb?) etc. and this is erratic. One constant is that my dvd rom drive writes extremely slowly. I looked on the net and found some suggestions around DMA settings on the drive, but I had already tried  those suggestions. No help there.

Vista is great. It has a lot of enhancements that really make my life easier. My Office 2007 opens much faster than my old XP o/s anf generall, except for the above, my notebook is quicker. I would not change back to XP in a hurry.

People tend to critisize too much. A great deal of effort went into Vista, and the bugs that we now have will no doubt be forgotten in the future as new patches are made available that address these issues.

However, I am still frustrated!!! Any ideas on how to help. I have tried freeing up ram, but have plenty available. My CPU is not excessively high during the copies/writes. At times even moving files takes so long that I abort.

I really appreciate your suggestions so far. Thanks for all the effort. Any other ideas?

Regards

Monday, May 14, 2007 6:51 AM
  •  BobScott wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am running a HP NC8430 notebook with 2gb ram, more than enough hardware. The time taken to delete and move files differs from time to time. Sometimes it can take 1 minute to delete a small file/set of files (500kb?) etc. and this is erratic. One constant is that my dvd rom drive writes extremely slowly. I looked on the net and found some suggestions around DMA settings on the drive, but I had already tried  those suggestions. No help there.

Vista is great. It has a lot of enhancements that really make my life easier. My Office 2007 opens much faster than my old XP o/s anf generall, except for the above, my notebook is quicker. I would not change back to XP in a hurry.

Then it sounds like you've gotten your computer faster than mine (not to mention it has four times the memory of mine), which is about as far as I've gotten. But I agree with you: Vista is WAY underrated.  If only your disk writing speed is slow, and nothing else, you may have a bad hard drive (or other drive).  Since I'm not present, it would be difficult to diagnose this.

Bob

Monday, May 14, 2007 8:31 PM
  • search the forum. there are a ton of threads on this slow copying problem
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:09 PM