none
DPM 2010 - Exchange 2007 SP 2 backup directly to tape RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to backup Exchange 2007 storage group with DPM 2010 directly to tape.  I do NOT have local storage sufficient to backup to disk first.  As such, I have configured short-term backups directly to tape. Yet, it fails every time indicating that one of the drives is not available.  I have seen other posts that indicate that if I am backing up Exchange it will require disk - tape or 2 x tape drives.  Is this correct? 

Also, it would seem to be that DPM only uses VSS , and in that case I would need 2.5 times the storage on my Exchange server than the amount taken by databases and logs.  They discontinued streaming backups?  Is this accurate? 

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Most likely you are receiving vss errors on the protected exchange server as it relates to what drives are used for exchange databases and log files.  DPM takes a VSS snapshot on the protected server before we copy the data over to the DPM server.  This is true for D-D or D-T backups.    The snapshots are minimal and is usually only a few GB at most while the backup is in progress.  The snapshots are deleted when the backup is complete. 

Please look for VSS errors in the application event log or Volsnap errors in the system event log on the exchange server.

Please include the failed dpm tape backup job details if you need additional help.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:08 PM