cannot hear any ringing when being transfered by auto-attendant RRS feed

• Question

• When callers use the Exchange 2007 UM auto attendant to transfer to an extension, the phone will ring at the desk, but the caller only hears silence until the line is picked up.

What would stop the caller from hearing the phone ring?

Our IP PBX is a 3CX system.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• Ringback generation would come from the connectivity UM has for telephony (ringback I don't believe is ever generated by UM itself).  How does your UM connect to your 3CX PBX?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:57 PM
  • It connects the the 3CX PBX with SIP over IP.
    The 3CX is a windows based PBX.
    I had suspected that it might be on the 3CX side.
    I will build another test 3CX server and see if the problem goes away. (I'm sure this was not a problem when I first set things up)
    Ed Hammond - System Admin
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:42 AM
  • This is the response I got from 3CX after I sent them my 3CX logs and a wireshark capture.
    I also setup another UM server and sent the traffic there, so I don't know if I agree with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ed,

We have looked in this in more detail.

The problem you are encountering is actually coming from Exchange. Exchange server does not pass a ringing tone to 3CX when we pass the call to it. It should be the exchange server that gives the tone, and if this is not passing this, you will not hear any ringing.

regards

Alex Mallia

Technical Support Engineer

3CX - Developers of IP PBX software

http://www.3cx.com

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: BNH-475068

Department: English Customer Support

Priority: Low

Ed Hammond - System Admin
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:24 PM