none
Can Custom Fields Belong to Multiple Selected Departments? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Custom Fields which are shared between 2-3 departments--but not shared globally.  We would like to have "multi-select" capability on choosing the Custom Field association.  We believe the current choices are "Global" or "specific department". 

Projects can belong to multiple Departments; Resources can belong to multiple Departments--it seems appropriate that CFs should be able to belong to multiple Departments.

Does anyone have insight on this issue?

Dr. Edward M. Hanna, PMP President Data Express, Inc. Irvine, CA emhanna@sbcglobal.net
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Edward,

The Department Field, if you are talking about Project Serve 2010 is created because of filtering. We can only associate  custom field at one Department Node, not in multiple nodes. To associate same custom field for other Department Node, we need to create it for other nodes.

For your scenario if we talk about project belong to multiple department. then you need look into your approach.

Regards, Sujit - MSTC
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Edward,

i'm not sure to well understand your issue, but, can you use Custom fields multi-value based on look up tables?

When you define a custom field, and you set this based on lookup table, you can flag "multivalue", so you can associate more than one value for each Project's or Resource's custom field

I hope to understand your issue and that this can help you

Best Regards

Paolo O.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hi Edward,

The Department Field, if you are talking about Project Serve 2010 is created because of filtering. We can only associate  custom field at one Department Node, not in multiple nodes. To associate same custom field for other Department Node, we need to create it for other nodes.

For your scenario if we talk about project belong to multiple department. then you need look into your approach.

Regards, Sujit - MSTC
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Paolo,

Yes, you can--indeed--make Custom Fields use multi-select.  However, there is no CF for "Department"--only a Lookup Table--therefore it cannot be made to use multi-select.   So--I am fairly certain--that we are limited to choosing 1 Department for each CF.

For my specific client requirements, I would like "Department" to be multi-select capable. (The client has 2-3 specific departments that wish to share some of the CFs.)  However, looking at the bigger picture, I think that would cause major complications with the cube building--where we build Departmental cubes.

There is, perhaps, a workaround.  If--in the Department table--I can group all the "sharing departments" under 1 hierarchical grouping (e.g. HR Departments), then I may be able to achieve the effect I desire by associating the CFs with "HR Departments".

What I am trying to avoid is a--difficult to maintain--proliferation of Custom Fields---and PDPs.  I do not, for example, wish to have the following CFs/PDPs to maintain:

• Custom Field entitled "Business Objective - HR1"--on PDP entitled "Project Info - HR1"
    • Custom Field entitled "Business Objective - HR2"--on PDP entitled "Project Info - HR2"
    • Custom Field entitled "Business Objective - HR3"--on PDP entitled "Project Info - HR3"

I would much rather have one custom field (Business Objective -HR) and one PDP (Project Info - HR) to maintain--and have them shareable across selectable departments.

Ed

Dr. Edward M. Hanna, PMP President Data Express, Inc. Irvine, CA emhanna@sbcglobal.net
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Sujit,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I fear we are limited to associating a CF with only one Department.  (The same, of course, for PDPs)

Ed

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:58 PM
  • A somewhat related follow-up to my previous message. 

Although the "Project Department" and "Resource Department" fields can be multi-valued, there is a down-side to going this route. 

Multi-valued fields are not supported in the cubes.  So, you would lose the advantage of having "Project Department" and "Resource Department" as dimensions in the cube--if you choose to make them multi-valued.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hi ED,

I can suggest you, if this is acceptable and works fine then, Try creating an additional custom field for departments [either for Project or Resources] keep this field as an option to choose multi-valued.

Use the default custom field without multi-valued, so for cubes you can preferrably choose the default custom field and for other views, you can use the additional custom field with which you would like to associate projects to multiple departments and this custom field can be brought necessarily on the specific views you are looking for. Hope this could solve your problem.

Suggest me if am wrong.

Note: Changing the default custom field "Departments" to multi-value will not allow you to bring it back reset to original, ie.,. Choose single value.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Hi Edward,

I am currently having the same problem like you - 10 departments that need one field and one that does not want it...

This is a technical restriction in the database design. The department ist just an attribute of the custom fields table in the published database. So there can be only one or NULL.

What I found out, is that you do not have to create several PDPS. In your case one PDP "Project Info" would be sufficient. You simply add all 3 "Business Objective" fields to the project fields webpart. The webpart will automatically show only the relevant field in dependency to the chosen department

Regards

Christoph

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:17 AM