Problem with a SATA HDD Drive RRS feed

• Question

• marchelone Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Hi, I succesfully installed W7 on my PC. Everything works fine, but I cannot see a SATA HDD drive.
    Te problem seems to be the driver for the SATA controller, because in the device manager it says that the controllers are not installed.
    I tried to install them from the original floppy disk, but W7 went corrupt and I had to restore to a previous restore point.

The Mobo is a MSI MS 6702E K8 Neo, and the SATA controller is a Promise Technology Fast Trak 579.

I have another SATA HDD on a Via SATA Raid controller that its working ok.

If you could please hep me with the Promise Fast Trak 579 controller, i will appreciatte it very much.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• I know you people don`t develope drivers for 3rd party Hw, but you may study wich is the right driver to use in each computer on wich W7 will be installed, I thought that was the point on testing a RC version, isn't it?

Thanks for your attention.

Hi Marchelone

Yes, this is exactly how beta testing works.

Microsoft works closely with all of the many partners, such as MSI, during a beta of the new operating system. There is a huge amount of data that is collected and this is passed on to the partner hardware and software developers so that they can pinpoint exactly where problems are occuring and use this information for the next version of the drivers for any particular product.

During the RTM phase, keep a close watch on Windows Update for new drivers to appear, even if you are still using the RC beta.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:00 AM

All replies

• You need the drivers for the Promise controller.  Without the drivers Windows 7 cannot see the controller.  Check the MSI Support web site to see if they have Win 7 drivers.  Microsoft does not write drivers for other manufacturers products.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:01 PM
  • You need the drivers for the Promise controller.  Without the drivers Windows 7 cannot see the controller.  Check the MSI Support web site to see if they have Win 7 drivers.  Microsoft does not write drivers for other manufacturers products.

As I already said in my post, I tried to install the MSI drivers and Windows 7 went corrupt (it tried to self repair without success) and I had to restore to a previous restore point.

I know you people don`t develope drivers for 3rd party Hw, but you may study wich is the right driver to use in each computer on wich W7 will be installed, I thought that was the point on testing a RC version, isn't it?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I know you people don`t develope drivers for 3rd party Hw, but you may study wich is the right driver to use in each computer on wich W7 will be installed, I thought that was the point on testing a RC version, isn't it?

Hi Marchelone

Yes, this is exactly how beta testing works.

Microsoft works closely with all of the many partners, such as MSI, during a beta of the new operating system. There is a huge amount of data that is collected and this is passed on to the partner hardware and software developers so that they can pinpoint exactly where problems are occuring and use this information for the next version of the drivers for any particular product.

During the RTM phase, keep a close watch on Windows Update for new drivers to appear, even if you are still using the RC beta.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:00 AM
  • marchelone Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Hi, I succesfully installed W7 on my PC. Everything works fine, but I cannot see a SATA HDD drive.
    Te problem seems to be the driver for the SATA controller, because in the device manager it says that the controllers are not installed.
    I tried to install them from the original floppy disk, but W7 went corrupt and I had to restore to a previous restore point.

The Mobo is a MSI MS 6702E K8 Neo, and the SATA controller is a Promise Technology Fast Trak 579.

I have another SATA HDD on a Via SATA Raid controller that its working ok.

If you could please hep me with the Promise Fast Trak 579 controller, i will appreciatte it very much.

Thanks in advance.

You probably won't find a Win 7 driver for the FastTrak 579.  The last driver Promise published for this was Sept. 1, 2005, and lists this as being Microsoft WHQL driver for Windows 2000/XP/2003.
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:47 PM