none
Windows Cortana not working when pointing to my DCs for DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I work at a school and the students would like to use Cortana.  All of our client machine are Windows 10 machines.  I have two Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller both running DNS.  Our client machines point to the DCs for DNS and then the DCs forward out the DNS requests to our ISP's recommended DNS servers.  Cortana will not work setup this way for us.  If I point a test client machine straight to our ISP's recommended DNS server then Cortana works.  Obviously that configuration is not correct.  Anybody else run into this issue or have any ideas I could try.  Thanks so much.

Tony

Monday, March 5, 2018 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi ashube,

Thanks for your question.

Please right click your DNS server on the DNS console and select the option “Properties” to check whether to set DNS forwarder on the DNS server as the following figure. If have no forwarder, please add an external DNS server like ISP’s DNS or a public DNS (example 8.8.8.8 ) as the forwarder.  

Here is the link refer to how to configure DNS forwarder,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816856(v=ws.10)

If the issue persists, please type the command “ nslookup -d2 <a site outside> ” (example www.microsoft.com) at the CMD.exe on the client computer. Then drop me the result in the forum.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:24 AM
  • Hi ashube,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hi ashube,

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Hi ashube,

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:16 AM