Prompted for an Unknown Password when Attempting to Sign In with Authenticator App RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to use the Authenticator App to sign into a website instead of entering my password, the process is this:

• Enter username on website.
    • Click "Use the Microsoft Authenticator App instead" link.
    • Website displays a code. Authenticator app displays three codes.
    • I select the correct code on my phone's screen.
    • My phone prompts me for a password.

I have no idea what the password I'm being prompted for here is. I've put a screenshot below. I've tried my Microsoft password, my phone password, I'm out of ideas!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

In your scenario, we should use the password of your phone by default.

According to your description, the password of your phone does not work for this app. For test, please reset your password of your phone and try again, also you may use pattern lock to test it.

By the way, please check the version of your Authenticator App, please update your app to latest version.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

In your scenario, we should use the password of your phone by default.

According to your description, the password of your phone does not work for this app. For test, please reset your password of your phone and try again, also you may use pattern lock to test it.

By the way, please check the version of your Authenticator App, please update your app to latest version.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Hi Jason,

It seems that I was mistaken when I said I'd tried my phone password because I just tried it and it worked.

I still don't understand why my phone password has anything to do with this process, and that screen could be much clearer that it's the phone password that's required. Displaying my email address like that very much makes it seem as if it's my Microsoft Account password which is being requested.

Needing to enter my phone password every time I want to use the Authenticator App sort of negates the advantage of not having to enter my Microsoft password, except that I've found that I can also use my fingerprint at this screen, so it's slightly quicker than entering a password. Again, the possibility of using my fingerprint is not mentioned on this screen and really should be.

Thanks again for your help!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:51 AM