locked
Entered wrong username during autodiscover RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there.

    I recently had to configure a user's email on his Outlook 2016 client.

    However, during the configuration, I entered a wrong user name (wrong domain).

    I got an error and tried to configure his email again, but kept on getting the error "en encrypted connection to your mail server is not available".

    I tried configuring the email account on my own Outlook 2016 client and it worked right away.

    I also tested it on Microsoft's remote connectivity analyzer (https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com) and it did not work.

    So, it seems that the problem is not with the account but with the user's client.

    I suspect that maybe the problem is because I entered the wrong address the first time.

    Is it cached somewhere?

    If yes, where?

    Monday, December 4, 2017 6:33 AM

Answers

  • Hi Nad,

    Please try to clear the cached credentials in Credential Manager:

    1. Launch the Credential Manager from Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager.
    2. In the Generic Credentials section you’ll see a setting for [MS Outlook] which will include your SSO details. Click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of that value.
    3. In the expand details, click Remove from vault. Then Outlook will no longer have a stored copy of your password.

    Then, create a new Outlook profile for this user's client:

    Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this problematic account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Use this new profile and confirm if the issue can be fixed.


    Regards,

    Winnie Liang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    • Marked as answer by Nad Surf Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

  • Hi Nad,

    Please try to clear the cached credentials in Credential Manager:

    1. Launch the Credential Manager from Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager.
    2. In the Generic Credentials section you’ll see a setting for [MS Outlook] which will include your SSO details. Click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of that value.
    3. In the expand details, click Remove from vault. Then Outlook will no longer have a stored copy of your password.

    Then, create a new Outlook profile for this user's client:

    Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this problematic account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Use this new profile and confirm if the issue can be fixed.


    Regards,

    Winnie Liang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    • Marked as answer by Nad Surf Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

    Unfortunately, I cannot say whether your proposed solution worked.

    It turned out that the AD account where the user's email was being configured was not correct.

    They created the right AD account and logged on to Windows using that account.

    The autodiscover worked correctly then.

    If I ever get this problem again I will try your solution.

    Thank you Winnie.


    • Edited by Nad Surf Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:50 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:49 PM