Transfer phone after someone transfers to another department RRS feed

• Question

• We are almost done with our on-prem Skype 2015 implementation and are running into problems.  The major one is how do you forward a phone when someone transfers to another department thus gets a new number.

Here is the scenario:

Person A works in Department A and assigned 1234.   Person A transfers to Department B and assigned a new number 2345.   Department A wants 1234 to be forwarded to another person in their department until someone new is hired and assigned 1234.

How can we do this.  I have found a PowerShell command, however in order for it to work I need to use their sip name which is in use and tied to the new telephone number.

I have had two requests in the last 3 days.  One was easy since the person left their position, transfers are more common and I have no idea how to fix the problem.

I hate to have to create (and license) fake accounts so I can use them to temporarily assign phone numbers.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:56 PM

Answers

• You can try configuring unassigned number range.
    You can enter whole range, if number is assigned to user, it takes precedence over unassigned number routing.
    • Marked as answer by herrmacm Monday, July 1, 2019 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi herrmacm,

Based on my experience, you could not assign two phone numbers to a single user in SFB environment. 

To achieve your goal, it seems you need to create a temporary account and assign the phone number to this account, then transfer the phone to another number. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:12 AM
  • You can try configuring unassigned number range.
    You can enter whole range, if number is assigned to user, it takes precedence over unassigned number routing.
    • Marked as answer by herrmacm Monday, July 1, 2019 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:49 AM
  • We just found this solution yesterday and it worked.  Still a pain but easier than managing and licensing user accounts just to forward temporarily.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:43 PM
  • Hi herrmacm,

Thanks for your sharing. Could you please share the solution?

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 28, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Hi herrmacm,

Is there any update for this issue? 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, July 1, 2019 3:06 AM
  • I had posted that I found the script to configure an unassigned number and voted on the post.  See link above form 485 Ambiguous

We did this for two phones but have now decided that as a policy we will not forward phones.  It is too much to keep track of, especially if it can only be done via powershell there is no visible way to see that a particular phone number was forwarded.  These are all short term requests, with a staff of 2 we decided its not worth it.

If the person leaving wants to forward their phone via Skype before they leave that's fine.  It will stay forwarded until we delete their account in 7-10 days.

Cathy

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:55 PM