none
Administrative Tools - Windows 10 Start Menu

Question

• Hi All, 

So looking for best practices for hiding the Administrative Tools from the Windows 10 Start Menu. 

Currently using Group Policy to hide it from the Control Panel which is working fine but unable to hide it from the start menu. I can make it hidden in the C:\ProgramData\Mcirosoft\Windows\StartMenu\ Path but that's not ideal as when an admin user logs in it requires them to have Hidden Files on. 

If anyone has any ideas or if this question has been asked before can someone point me in the right direction. 

Thanks

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:54 AM

All replies

• Regular users wouldn't be able to use all the tools within the Administrative toolset - but you could always force users to use a specific Start menu layout? Or restrict settings within the start menu itself for a specific group in the OU (and therefore without affecting the administrators)?

Friday, March 31, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, the following T key will help to hide the Administrative Tools in All Programs:
    HKCU -- Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    StartMenuAdminTools
    Decial 0
    You could use group policy to deploy this registry key
    Configure a Registry Item
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092(v=ws.11).aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 3, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 7, 2017 9:03 AM