none
Task Level Custom Fields are not updated in the Project Plan after Approval RRS feed

• Question

• I have a task level custom field, lets say "Text1". I now have a Project in which i have created a task and i assign this to a Team Member(TM).

Now the Team Member goes to "My Tasks" View and updates the Assignment, e.g. TM sets Text1 as "Testing". This Assignment now goes to the Project Manager for Approval.

Project Manager is now at the Approval Center, he selects a task and approves it. In the project plan i done see the Text1 field set as "Testing".

The Tasks approved from the Approval Center updates the Tasks inbuilt fields and not the custom fields.

Is there a reason for this. I need a workaround as well.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hi

When user changes this field in My Tasks, it will be only be written in field on assignment level and you can only see it when applying Task Usage view in Project Professional. It is already there, just check! If you want to get it on task level, you either need to do this manually or write a macro to do so.

Just an idea why nothing happens manually: Assume you have more than one assignment for a task. R1 enters ABC, R2 enters DEF - what would you expect on task level ...?

Hope that helps!
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:34 AM
  • Lets say that i want to use macros.  I still dont get the updated value which has been sent for approval. So how will the macro fetch this information?
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

there are several possibilities: Your macro could check the number of assignments for a task: if ist is 1, just copy value from assignment to task level. If it is >1, give a message to PM. Something like this:

Dim T As Task
    Dim A As Assignment
        'Ensure there is an open project
        If Not pj Is Nothing Then
            'Macro only useful for checked-out Enterpries Projects
            If pj.Type = pjProjectTypeEnterpriseCheckedOut Then
                For Each T In pj.Tasks
                    'Update only valid task
                    If Not T Is Nothing Then
                        If Not T.Summary Then
                        'if task has one assignment
                            If T.Assignments.Count = 1 Then
                                For Each A In T.Assignments
                                    T.MyField = A.MyField
                                Next
                            ElseIf T.Assignments.Count > 1 Then
                                MsgBox "More than one assignment for task " & T.ID & " - " & T.Name & ". Please update manually."
                            End If
                        End If
                    End If
                Next T
            End If
        End If

Just make sure your field name does not contain any blanks, otherwise you will not be able to access values on assignment level.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:05 PM