Compatibility mode by application ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have some old applications that need different compatibility mode (run in full screen, run in 640x480 resolution, ..).
    And when I set the compatibility mode, say 640x480, for one application, this app. runs ok in 640x480 and after terminated the screen reverse to high resolution   (badly only after a few seconds).

My problem is that after that all the other applications also execute in 640x480 resolution !

Question : how can I set the compatibility mode by application ?   (simply, if possible not with a shim or so complicated)

Thank you.

jean-marie

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:44 PM

Answers

• This particular compatibility shim just changes the monitor resolution when the application starts and sets it back when the applications closes. There is currently no way to limit a single application to a specific resolution.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, February 21, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:52 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:53 PM
  • This particular compatibility shim just changes the monitor resolution when the application starts and sets it back when the applications closes. There is currently no way to limit a single application to a specific resolution.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, February 21, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I assume all other applications actually refer to fact that if you just take properties from app shortcut and set compatibility (like 640x480), all subsequent launches of other App-V application also launches into that mode. This is because compatibility settings are applied to sfttray.exe, which is responsible for launching all App-V apps.

To workaround this issue, you have to use Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers key and specify full path to application in question, using the Q: path by which Windows sees it. This way, only that application gets compatibility settings. The thing is, you have to set it to physical registry, having it inside VREG has no effect.

br,
    Kalle

Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I'm not sure if there is a Shim for this one but there are so many that I'll assume Znack is right. Shims can be applied as one master with multiple shims for applications or you can create per application shims and just deploy these to the machine.

One of the current projects I work on uses a wrapper for loading the APP-V application into the cache. Applying a shim is done inside this wrapper by us as the wrapper ensures the install is carried out in System context and would thus have the authority to install the shim.

Create your Shim using ACT and then have it installed on the local machine, once launched the shim will re-direct the setting for you.

I believe another suggestion for using Shims in APP-V is to have the shim sequenced in the app and then have a pre-script to install it on the machine before launch and uninstall on shutdown. I haven't tested this method out but on Windows 7 I would think this may not be possible as users wouldn't have the rights to install or uninstall a shim.

I think the two options would be either have it in a wrapper or have it install in your generated MSI if you use this for deployment.

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:39 PM