Re-deploy Windows 10 Using Existing Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out if there is a way I can use Configuration Manager to deploy Windows 10 to a machine that already has Windows 10 installed without knowing the product key. Is it possible somehow to just tell the process to use whatever key and activation already exists on the target system?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:34 PM

Answers

• When doing Windows 10 deployment in combination with a KMS host, you can use KMS client setup keys. They can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

When you want to deploy systems with the same product key, I guess only an in-place upgrade will do the job. With Windows 10 deployment this is a supported way too. Otherwise (with a sysprepped image) mini-setup is running and a new activation is done.

My blogs: Henk's blog | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by highbrow Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:21 PM

All replies

• When doing Windows 10 deployment in combination with a KMS host, you can use KMS client setup keys. They can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

When you want to deploy systems with the same product key, I guess only an in-place upgrade will do the job. With Windows 10 deployment this is a supported way too. Otherwise (with a sysprepped image) mini-setup is running and a new activation is done.

My blogs: Henk's blog | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by highbrow Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Dear Sir,

If you are using KMS in your environment, you could try to add a step "Run Command Line" to the end of your TS, to activate the windows by contacting to the KMS host.

The command line will be (for win10 professional):

cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
       cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /skms kms-host-ip
       cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /ato

start in: C:\Windows\system32

Best regards,

Jimmy

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:46 AM