Side-by-side migration Lync 2013 to Skype for Business Edge and IP-addresses? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am curreantly doing av side-by-side migration from a Lync 2013 Standard Edition to Skype for Business Standard Edition.

It is currently set up with new Front End and new Edge. They have about 80 SANs on their Edge-cert.

My "problem" is that the new Edge-server has been assigned with 3 new public IP-addresses. I really don't want to change the public DNS on 80 domains to point to the "sip.domain.com" to the new public IP on the new Edge. 

What should I do? Can I decommission the old Edge-server one night and move the public IP-addresses to the new Edge-server and use the new Skype for Business Edge for both the old Lync 2013  and the new Skype for Business environment?

Should/could I just do an In-place upgrade on only the old Edge and ditch the new Edge-server?

Brg.

Eirik N

Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:27 PM

Answers

• Can anyone confirm that I will not have any issues with my plan:

- Move the public IP-addresses from old LyncEdge to new SkypeEdge.

- Decommission the old LyncEdge i Topology.

- Assign new SkypeEdge to both the old Lync Frond End and the new Skype Front End.

- Run with both Lync FE and Skype FE against new SkypeEdge unit all users are migrated from Lync 2013 to the new Skype platform. 

• Marked as answer by Eirik81 Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:07 AM

All replies

• So there a couple options.

1. On the cutover night, move the IPs from the old edge to the new edge and update the topology accordingly.

2. Perform an in-place upgrade.

3. Suck it up and change the 80+ records.

4. Use different Edge FQDNs, generate a new cert, and create 80+ DNS records.

Since it's a single SE and single Edge, I would probably just do the in place upgrade. It's a pretty straightforward  process but it has the most risk because you're taking everything down and there isn't exactly a rollback plan. You also won't be able to test anything ahead of time to ensure it will work. However, you can get it all done in an evening and a few hours of down time if you do proper planning ahead of time.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:58 PM
  • Thank you Tyler! 

It will be the cutover and moving or the in-place upgrade. 

Right now I am leaning towards the upgrade........If I upgrade, will the users on the Lync 2013 environment still be able to use the Edge as before?

• Edited by Eirik81 Friday, February 23, 2018 8:19 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Hi Eirik81,

You must use the offline method if you only have a single Lync 2013 Standard pool.The offline method as the name implies requires you to take the entire pool down for maintenance while the upgrade is occurring.  During this time all functionality is unavailable until the upgrade process has completed.and the Lync 2013 edge server need to upgrate,so I think the edge server will be not used when you update the edge server.You could refer to the following link .

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mvpawardprogram/2015/10/06/moving-to-skype-for-business-know-your-in-place-upgrade-options/

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 8:58 AM
  • I am doing a side-by-side on the Front End-servers to get to 2012 R2 on the OS. 

The new SfB Front End is up and running along side the existing Lync 2013 FE. I just talked to the customer and he wants to decommission the old Lync 2013 Edge aswell, so that he has a fresh installation on all the roles(doesn't want the old names on the server, lyncedge02.domain.) 

So, I will do a clean installation of a new Skype for Business Edge-server along side with the existing Lync 2013 Edge.

When it is time, I will move the public IP-addresses to the new SfB Edge-server. Then I will assosiate the new Edge-server with both the Lync 2013 and the SfB deployment in Topology. All good?

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Can anyone confirm that I will not have any issues with my plan:

- Move the public IP-addresses from old LyncEdge to new SkypeEdge.

- Decommission the old LyncEdge i Topology.

- Assign new SkypeEdge to both the old Lync Frond End and the new Skype Front End.

- Run with both Lync FE and Skype FE against new SkypeEdge unit all users are migrated from Lync 2013 to the new Skype platform. 

• Marked as answer by Eirik81 Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:07 AM