Desktop Icons and shortcuts go missing or stop working RRS feed

• Question

• I have some of my users lose their desktop icons and shortcuts after awhile. Some Icons and shortcuts are there but give a message that the network resource is not available when trying to open them. We use folder redirection for the desktops. This seems to happened randomly and sometimes fixes itself or after rebooting.  Is there any way to keep the Desktop icons and shortcuts from doing this?  The workstations are running Windows 7 and the Server is Windows 2008. Thanks!

Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems like DNS problem, when this problem occurs, you can try to use Ip address instead of UNC path name for test. If IP address works fine, it's obviously DNS problem.

On the other hand, please check Event log if it identify this problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, April 20, 2015 9:24 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 3:27 AM

All replies

• Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, folder redirection seems like the culprit of this problem. Next time when you encounter this problem, please check the root folder of Desktop access status if you could access successfully.

If not, post the detailed error message here.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 3, 2015 9:59 AM
  • I've checked the desktop and I get the message that the location is  not accessible or unavailable . I'm able to unc to the path and access the desktop folders and files successfully from the run command when this happens. Eventually access becomes available but our users become annoyed when this occurs. Access becomes unavailable and then available again several times a day. The problem  happens only with our Windows 7 and 8 computers. Our XP machines are not  affected. Thanks!

Friday, April 10, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

It seems like DNS problem, when this problem occurs, you can try to use Ip address instead of UNC path name for test. If IP address works fine, it's obviously DNS problem.

On the other hand, please check Event log if it identify this problem.

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, April 20, 2015 9:24 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 3:27 AM