Numbered List limitation on bug RRS feed

• Question

• There appears to be a limitation/bug with the number of Numbered Lists you can have in a word document.  This applies to both Office 2010 and Office 2013.  After you reach the limit, you cannot create any more numbered lists.  If you try to number a list, or different a list into two parts, the numbering is removed.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Do you have a workaround?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You right, just used the numbering button on the ribbon.

you never should use those buttons, except in a short "one way" document: a short memo, or letter. Don't use it in a long document, which you want to keep stable.

Using the above commands, the number of list templates is 2046.

I expected something like that...

I save the new document and opened it again, and run the above command and got the number of list templates of 2046.

List templates in a document cannot be removed, even not by programming. You have to copy the text  unformatted in a new document, to get rid of the list templates.
    Then you can apply a List style for numbering. Have a look at this article:
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/NumberingExplained/TypesOfNumbering/OutlineNumbering.htm

Cheers,
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:32 AM
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you mind to tell how many lists you created so I can check on it?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

The document is 732 pages long with about 4 to 6 numbered lists per page.  So I would said somewhere around 3,500 to 4,000 numbered lists.  There are about 95,400 words in the document.

I tried breaking the document into two parts.  The second part was created from the original, with the first 700 or so pages deleted.  The outer list was renumbered to start the numbering to continue.  It appear since this was an "edit" of the original the issue remained - like the history of the numbering of the listed is maintained.

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

The document is 732 pages long with about 4 to 6 numbered lists per page.  So I would said somewhere around 3,500 to 4,000 numbered lists.

you did not use styles, especially not a list style? You just used the quick'n'dirty method (clicking the numbering button on the ribbon)?

Press: Alt + F11 | Ctrl + G.
    Type: ?activedocument.listtemplates.count
    Press: Enter

What is the number of list templates?

Cheers,
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

I used the top center select to start a list (1., 2., 3., etc.)  Each list is only one value deep, not 1.1, 1.2 type of list.  And I used the Set Numbering Value... within that button to renumber lists, that I wanted to split a list.

The only special format in the document, is some bold type and some word set to Blue.  The of the type is a single format type and size.

After deleting most of the document, down to 9 numbered lists.  All with only a single item per list, same problem happens - cannot add a new numbered lists.  I save the new document and opened it again, and run the above command and got the number of list templates of 2046.

Thanks

• Edited by GBMSystem Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:24 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

you never should use those buttons, except in a short "one way" document: a short memo, or letter. Don't use it in a long document, which you want to keep stable.

I expected something like that...

I save the new document and opened it again, and run the above command and got the number of list templates of 2046.

List templates in a document cannot be removed, even not by programming. You have to copy the text  unformatted in a new document, to get rid of the list templates.
    Then you can apply a List style for numbering. Have a look at this article:
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/NumberingExplained/TypesOfNumbering/OutlineNumbering.htm

Cheers,
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:32 AM
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Thank you for the information, it was very useful.

George

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:49 PM