Popup notification for when people are sending email with attachments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a lot of users who are very liberal with sending attachments to the whole company. We pay for sharepoint and one drive so we would like to limit the use of emails attachments for in-house emails. I'm thinking of a pop or some kind of message reminding the user to use SharePoint/OneDrive for attachments. I don't care if it comes up every time but if it could be filtered for certain file types, great. 

What could we do here? Any ideas? We have users who use Office 365 Desktop and Web but mostly focused on Desktop here.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Welcome to our forum.

>>I'm thinking of a pop or some kind of message reminding the user to use SharePoint/OneDrive for attachments.

According to my research, I'm afraid that we could not achieve the feature you mentioned above with options in Outlook client alone. I also found some related information, for your reference:
    Use mail flow rules to inspect message attachments in Exchange Online
    How To Get An Important Email Alert In Outlook?(VBA in this article)
    (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 4, 2020 3:30 AM
  • Thanks Jeff,

So there is not notification system like the Out of Office notification that you get when you are writing someone an email? Outlook will warn you that you are sending to someone who is Out of Office.

Thanks,
    Pedro

Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:09 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

you have to hire someone to create an add-in for Outlook that will do what you want (show popup warning etc).

Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:56 PM
  • Hi all,

We have a lot of users who are very liberal with sending attachments to the whole company. We pay for sharepoint and one drive so we would like to limit the use of emails attachments for in-house emails. I'm thinking of a pop or some kind of message reminding the user to use SharePoint/OneDrive for attachments. I don't care if it comes up every time but if it could be filtered for certain file types, great. 

What could we do here? Any ideas? We have users who use Office 365 Desktop and Web but mostly focused on Desktop here.

Thanks

You could always force the default for Outlook 2016 and above with a registry setting or GPO:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011261/how-to-set-attachment-preference-for-attaching-a-cloud-file-in-outlook

Thursday, June 4, 2020 2:36 PM
  • You could always force the default for Outlook 2016 and above with a registry setting or GPO:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011261/how-to-set-attachment-preference-for-attaching-a-cloud-file-in-outlook

But it will work only for attachments chosen from SharePoint/OneDrive.
    Sunday, June 7, 2020 1:07 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

>>notification system like the Out of Office notification that you get when you are writing someone an email

As I know, the notification mentioned above is set via Options > Mail > MailTips > MailTipsOptions. However, according to my research,  they are all by design and I'm afraid there is no related options in Outlook client which could help modify the notification on our own. If you would still like the feature, please check these articles below for more information:
    MailTips
    Configure custom MailTips for recipients

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2020 9:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:15 AM