none
Can Documents Inherit Metadata from a Folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Using SharePoint Server 2010, I would like to know if I can upload documents and have them inherit metadata from a folder, if this is possible can someone please explain to me how to do this?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• I've tried it again, and inheriting Default Values will only work when applied to a Document Library.

My original ideal was to have multiple folders of county names inside one document library, have each county folder with their own default values, and when a document is uploaded to either of the county folders then that document will inherit default values from that particular folder.

Don't seem like I can do this since a folder inside a Document Library can only inherit Default Values from the Document Library settings. To my knowledge there are no settings for a folder content type to have its own Default Values, unless perhaps you go behind the software and produce code to make it work.

I know this is an old thread but you don't need Document Sets, you don't need MetaVis, or any of the other convoluted schemes. Create your library. Create your folders. Goto the Library settings and Choose Column default value settings. You can then pick a folder and set the default values for docs in that folder exactly like you wanted. Simple.
    • Proposed as answer by TeenerTim Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

• Metadata is associated with the content type, and folders are separate content types than documents.  If you create a custom folder site content type with certain metadata, then you may be able to create a document content type that uses the folder as a parent, and then associate your document template with that doc content type, but I haven't tried that before.  In terms of putting a doc into a folder, no, it will not automatically pick up the same fields as the folder unless those are the fields set for the content type used by the doc.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Thanks a Bunch Clayton for answering my question, I understand now.

Enjoy

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Did that answer the question completely, or do you need more information?
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:53 PM
  • I agree with Clayton but I've to put in evidence that in SharePoint 2010 there is a new feature that support metadata inheritance. His name is Document Sets.

You can find info in the web and this is good starting point http://www.cmswire.com/cms/document-management/sharepoint-2010-document-sets-organize-related-documents-for-project-based-work-006982.php

HTH

--marco @avanade
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Maybe I misunderstood the question but if you set up default column values on a document library then arent you essentially inheriting metadata?

If I have a document library and set Default Column values then when I put a peice of content in that location i will get the metadata specified..I could be wrong, it was a long flight back :)

Blog: www.sharepointanalysthq.com Twitter: @michalpisarek
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:36 AM
  • I've tried it again, and inheriting Default Values will only work when applied to a Document Library.

My original ideal was to have multiple folders of county names inside one document library, have each county folder with their own default values, and when a document is uploaded to either of the county folders then that document will inherit default values from that particular folder.

Don't seem like I can do this since a folder inside a Document Library can only inherit Default Values from the Document Library settings. To my knowledge there are no settings for a folder content type to have its own Default Values, unless perhaps you go behind the software and produce code to make it work.

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:21 PM
  • As Marco has pointed out already, you ought to consider using Document Sets.  These are in effect folders within a document library into which you can put documents.  It is possible through the settings for the Document Set to pass metadata from the Document Set (folder) to the documents which make up the contents of the Document Set.  A Document Set can also be a Content Type allowing different columns to be assign if required.

Hope you find this useful.

G North MMI
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Metadata is associated with the content type, and folders are separate content types than documents.  If you create a custom folder site content type with certain metadata, then you may be able to create a document content type that uses the folder as a parent, and then associate your document template with that doc content type, but I haven't tried that before.  In terms of putting a doc into a folder, no, it will not automatically pick up the same fields as the folder unless those are the fields set for the content type used by the doc.

Can you explain , how to do it. I tried it, but i was not able to create document content type using folder content type, it creates folder content type when u inherit from folder content type
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:17 PM
  • An event reciever should do the trick, when a document is created, load the folders field value into the ListItem field.

Friday, October 22, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Thanks again to all who posted.

I will indeed look at Docuemnt Sets to do what I'm after.

Cheers!

Friday, October 22, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Hello

I would like to know how the meta date inheritance would work, as so far i have not been able to get this feature working.

I have created a folder content type called 'Customer' (which inherits from the folder content type) for which I will enter the customer information (customer code and description). Now I have created a content type called project which inherit from the Customer content type, for which I would have additional information such as the project code and description and inheriting the customer code and description. The problem is when i create a project content type folder under the customer content type folder, it still prompts to enter the customer code and description. Ideally this information should be inherited from the parent folder. SO how can this be achieved? Am i missing something here? Meta data inheritance was supposed to be a big improvement in Sharepoint 2010.

Reehaz Soobhany
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I think we're all confusing content types with actual content. Content Types can inherit from eachother (to an extent, as Manish pointed out above you can't inherit a document from a folder). Content generally doesn't inherit from content. Creating an instance of the folder content type (creating a folder) and putting metadata inside it doesn't mean that folders inside it will get its metadata. Document sets are a good idea. Advanced workflows are another idea, where if a folder changes all documents inside it get updated, youd need to be a real workflow ninja to pull it off.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:34 PM
  • SharePoint Server 2010 has a feature called Location Based Metadata Defaults. You can read about it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee557925.aspx

It allows to specify different default values for different folders in the same library in the same way as you would specify default field values for the whole library.

However this method has its limitations for certain situations. We have a product called MetaVis Folders that enables similar functionality but for wider range of objects and situations. Specifically, MetaVis Folders:

1. Works with SharePoint Foundation 2010, not just Server 2010.

2. Makes new folders, non-document items and document sets also inherit default values from folders. Native functionality supports only documents

3. Works for new documents created in any MS Office version. Native functionality works only for documents that are uploaded to SharePoint or to new documents created using MS Office 2010 only.

4. Changes field values for all content inside a folder when you edit the folder metadata. So it not just provides default values for fields but it can also enforce certain field schedma in folder hierarchies

5. Works with SharePoint 2007 (WSS or MOSS) providing consistent metadata mechanizm for all all SharePoint versions in the organization in case upgrade it not feasible for some of them.

You can download free 15-days trial of MetaVis Folders here: http://www.metavistech.com

Let us know whether you like it.
    Thank you,
    Mark

Friday, February 18, 2011 11:21 PM

I know this is an old thread but you don't need Document Sets, you don't need MetaVis, or any of the other convoluted schemes. Create your library. Create your folders. Goto the Library settings and Choose Column default value settings. You can then pick a folder and set the default values for docs in that folder exactly like you wanted. Simple.
    • Proposed as answer by TeenerTim Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Yes, you can:

You can set default metadata values for every folder. In 'Library settings', 'Column Default Value settings', you can set defaults on all of you subfolder starting from the root(inherits by default).

Taken from my wiki page at: http://sharepointdragons.com/2012/03/27/sharepoint-2010-best-practices-folders-not-necessarily-considered-evil/

Kind regards,
    Margriet Bruggeman

Lois & Clark IT Services
    web site: http://www.loisandclark.eu
    blog: http://www.sharepointdragons.com

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:43 PM
  • If you need to update the metadata after the fact like taxonomy fields you can usee a tool at www.qipoint.com, its called Batch Edit and Check In, It supports lists and doc libraries

we needed this requirement..Hope that helps someone else!

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:18 AM