USB drive not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500gb external drive that I used for Windows storage. Later, I partitioned it and made an Ubuntu partition. Now, when I connect the hdd on windows, it is not able to recognize it, but Ubuntu can see all the data. Any way I can fix it so Windows sees the windows partition at least on Win XP? Thanks.
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• Linux use a different HHD formatting scheme and it is neither compatible with Windows XP nor can it be seen by Windows XP without a 3rd party utility which you will have to find somewhere on the internet since Microsoft does not have such a utility available.

If you look at the results of an Internet search @ http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=mount+ext3+partition+in+windows+xp&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights= you will note several references to a solution from Unbuntu.  recommend you check some of those links for a solution.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 2, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Thanks Rick. The problem is that the FS was a Windows one earlier and all data was visible before. Until the time I partitioned it, shrank the windows one and put a small Ubuntu partition. 

I can access the data from Ubuntu and back it up too; but I want to avoid formatting it. I remember a command in windows called "sys" that you could use. Is there a similar command in XP? I know fixmbr is for MBR, but will it be useful?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:39 AM
  • I cannot say how any Windows programs will affect the HDD.  Linux uses something called GRUB in place of the MBR and I have no idea what Linux did to your drive.

Your best source is to go to the Linux community about your situation.  Microsoft does not have any support for Linux in Windows.

I seriously doubt you will find a solution in a Microsoft forum for dealing with the affects of letting Linux change your HDD.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Rick

I agree that Ubuntu may have affected it. I was just looking for a command, if available, that can restore its access from Windows and not delete the data. Like I said above, there was a command called "sys" that used to help. If there's a similar one available in Win XP of Win 7, I can try it out.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Using any utility in Windows after the HDD has been altered by Linux is not a good idea.  Windows might be able to rebuild the MBR, but in the process you might lose access to existing data.  I cannot find anything in Windows, so all those old utilities must have been removed.

Your best solution is to either go to the Ubuntu forums for advice or to find a third party utility to recover your HDD.  The capabilities of Windows software is very limited in its capability to accomplish your goal.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:23 AM