Outlook 2016 repeatedly asks for password and none of the fixes I have found are working RRS feed

• Question

• Overview:
    Windows 7 SP1 w/Outlook 2016 in a domain connecting to an onsite Exchange 2010 server in the same domain.
    No passwords were changed before this problem started.
    The Credential Manager does not have any entries.
    Only happening to one of 45 users and all users are running same OS, Outlook version, and have the same domain policies.

Problem:
    The affected user opens Outlook and are prompted for the password.  Of course, they can either enter the credentials and check the box to save them, which it doesn't.  Alternatively, they can close the password prompt and click on the "Need password" notice at the bottom of Outlook, which lets them into Outlook without typing a password.  Either way, they are prompted for their password the next time they open Outlook.

How can I make Outlook or Windows remember their credentials or, better yet, just use the credentials they used to logon the computer?

Thank you in advance!

OR they can close the password prompt and just click on the "Need password" in the bottom of Outlook, without entering a password.

Please help me resolve this problem.  Thank you in advance!

Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We have same problem with Exchange 2013 and Outlook 2016 for many users. This solution works:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/76bcbc41-afb2-4789-9064-c1d18e1a122e/outlook-2016exchange-2010-keeps-prompting-for-credentials?forum=outlook

Benoît

We had this same prob (we are an IT Support Company) exact replica of problem last sept/oct time, started occurring on both one of our customers PC  (on a network of 40+) and one of our own PCs (a totally separate network to our customers) yesterday and started occurring on another of our own laptops today.  In both cases the systems are and have only ever connected to an on premise exchange, but outlook suddenly constantly prompting for credentials and on looking at the credential manager was trying to store details for outlook.office.com when it should not even be attempting to connect to anything external!

the below fixed it, although prior to this the only fix was to rollback the version to last Sept/October although in the case of the customer office errors on the roll back and would only rollback to the November update for some reason. 

the below registry fix resolved the problem on all system, appears the update released on Jan 9th of offce is the cause!!

The fix is to create the following Registry keys on affected machine:

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover (x.0 corresponds to the Outlook version: 16.0 = Outlook 2016)

For Outlook 2016 version 16.0.6741.2017 and later versions, please add the following

DWORD: ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint
    value 1

It looks like Microsoft is forcing 365 login for auto discover. I hope this helps, this problem trashed my day yesterday. Microsoft needs to apply a fix asap.

Friday, January 12, 2018 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Check-out SPN

You can try to leave and join back the domain of the impacted computer also

Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.  There were no changes to any server principal names and the other 44 users, who use the same SPNs, are unaffected. Given this, do you still think it could be an SPN problem?

Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:48 PM
  • When this happens to my users I have them close everything, reset their password and reboot. I fixed the exact same issue this morning.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:48 PM
  • When this happens to my users I have them close everything, reset their password and reboot. I fixed the exact same issue this morning.

Just to be clear.  When Outlook says "Need password".  The user clicks on it and Outlook connects without entering a password.  Is this how it works for your users?
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:15 PM
  • No. They can't access their mailbox at all, sorry I didn't read that part correctly.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Hi,
    We have the same issue.  I have two sites:

1: Exchange 2010 with Win7 & Win10 Mixed clients Office 2016

2: Exchange 2010 with Win10 client Office 2016

It "magically" became the same issue this week: users would log into their domain machines, open Outlook and be prompted for logon creds.  Entering their UPN or Windows user name and their correct password wouldn't "save" and cause the dialogue request to "stay away".  If you "answered" it 3-8 times (or, like Victim says, you can cancel the prompt, go to "Send/Receive" tab and click the "type Exchange password" button to have it work immediately) it would "accept it" and "Connect to Exchange" but after that it would come back *random* minutes later.

I also tried clearing out the users Credential Manager passwords with no luck.  I was also personally affected (I'm site #2 ;)

It appeared after the last "Monthly Channel" update from Microsoft for Office 2016 (Click-To-Run Edition), Version 1711 7230.2175.  May have affected earlier version as well.  I had to roll back to 1710 8625.2139 to make the issue go away.  Any 1711 versions still had the same issue (I originally tried 8730.2127 thinking it was just the Jan 2018 update but that didn't help me).

So it for us, it was the Office 2016 Update and a roll back to the November 27, 2017 (1710.8625.2139) fixed for us.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Those instructions with:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae942449-1fca-4484-898b-a933ea23def7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Those versions are what got my client site, and my computer, back up and stable. 

Hope this helps!

Tom

• Edited by TommyBoyCDN Friday, January 12, 2018 4:45 AM add additional text
    Friday, January 12, 2018 4:40 AM
  • Hi Victim,

>> Only happening to one of 45 users and all users are running same OS, Outlook version, and have the same domain policies.

Have you checked if the detailed build number of their Outlook are all the same?
    How about asking the user to test on another working machine and see if the issue still persists?

Besides, please try to create a new profile for the user and check the result. 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Hello,

We have same problem with Exchange 2013 and Outlook 2016 for many users. This solution works:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/76bcbc41-afb2-4789-9064-c1d18e1a122e/outlook-2016exchange-2010-keeps-prompting-for-credentials?forum=outlook

Benoît

Friday, January 12, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Hello,

Benoît

We had this same prob (we are an IT Support Company) exact replica of problem last sept/oct time, started occurring on both one of our customers PC  (on a network of 40+) and one of our own PCs (a totally separate network to our customers) yesterday and started occurring on another of our own laptops today.  In both cases the systems are and have only ever connected to an on premise exchange, but outlook suddenly constantly prompting for credentials and on looking at the credential manager was trying to store details for outlook.office.com when it should not even be attempting to connect to anything external!

the below fixed it, although prior to this the only fix was to rollback the version to last Sept/October although in the case of the customer office errors on the roll back and would only rollback to the November update for some reason. 

the below registry fix resolved the problem on all system, appears the update released on Jan 9th of offce is the cause!!

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover (x.0 corresponds to the Outlook version: 16.0 = Outlook 2016)

For Outlook 2016 version 16.0.6741.2017 and later versions, please add the following

value 1

It looks like Microsoft is forcing 365 login for auto discover. I hope this helps, this problem trashed my day yesterday. Microsoft needs to apply a fix asap.

Friday, January 12, 2018 1:34 PM
  • Thank you everyone for the recommendations!  I will be back at this customer's site in a few days to try them out.  I will let you know what happens.
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:49 PM
  • Thank you for posting this reg hack! Finally fixed our issue here.  I tried to roll back the update, but for some reason, this computer kept erroring out during the roll back (looked like it couldn't connect to MS servers).  I love it when there is a simple registry fix. Thanks again!

For background, this exact issue started happening this week on one computer out of maybe 100 that have Office 2016 installed.  Usually it's a password reset issue when we start to see these prompts, but this one was different.  And it was on the computer belonging to our president. Go figure.

Friday, January 12, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Thank you everyone for the recommendations!  I will be back at this customer's site in a few days to try them out.  I will let you know what happens.

Hi,

Just checked in to see how everything is going on with the issue. I noticed that the registry method provided by Barry helped other community members in another similar thread. Have you tried to see if it also works in your side? (Please backup the registry before trying.) If the suggestion above was helpful, please remember to mark the useful post as answer to close the thread so that others who might have a similar question can more easily search for the solution. If you still need assistance on this, please don't hesitate to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:39 AM
  • So far, the registry change Barry Gravenell suggested is working.  Thank you, Barry!  I have marked your suggestion as the answer.  I will follow up with the affected user next week to make sure it stands the test of time and post back here.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Hi all,

So far we have found that the auth prompt issue can occur when there is an Office 365 consumer account e.g. Outlook.com in the Outlook profile.  If any of you who ran into this can confirm that please let me know. Or, if you don't have an Outlook.com account but have other consumer or O365 services connected under File, Account, Connected Services that would be helpful to know too.  We will get the bug fixed I just want to make sure we are capturing all the scenarios.

Friday, January 19, 2018 11:00 PM
  • Hi all,

The Outlook Team has made a service side change to fix the issue.  If you see any new reports please ask users to restart the Outlook client to pick up the change.  For any new reports please do not use the registry key to address it.

Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Hi All

I'm using the same issue with on premise Exchange 2016 server. The authentication popup seems to be from O365 which I'm not using

I've tried registry edits
    Modified c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to point autodiscover hosts to 127.0.0.1
    Last resort I even reformatted hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 and reinstalled Office 2016 ESD key via http://www.office.com/setup
    Perform Windows Updates
    After all that, the Outlook 2016 still pops up with the login
    If I cancel it sometime connects, or restart the PC and login again it will work. But it pops up everyday

Thanks

OutlookUser

Monday, May 21, 2018 7:00 AM
  • It won't let me attach snapshot. I'll try to describe:

The popup is like a web popup. Its got the Microsoft log on the top left. Next line its got Sign in. Next time its got There was an issue looking up your account. Tap next to try again

Then it gives you a Back and Next button

I don't have any O365 subscription. Office 2016 license is from ESD/online purchase installed via office.com/setup. After a reformat of Windows 7, Office was reinstalled from office.com/myaccount logged in and click Install on this PC. Office 2016 is then downloaded and activated fine

Thanks

OutlookUser

Monday, May 21, 2018 7:04 AM
  • Hi, I had the same problem.

The solution was to set the verification method correctly against the map.

Set-MapiVirtualDirectory -Identities "EXCH\mapi (Default Web Site)" -InternalUrl https://mail.xxxxx.local/mapi -ExternalUrl https://mail.xxxxx.cz/mapi -IISAuthenticationMethods Negotiate

Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Hi, I had the same problem.

The solution was to set the verification method correctly against the map.

Set-MapiVirtualDirectory -Identities "EXCH\mapi (Default Web Site)" -InternalUrl https://mail.xxxxx.local/mapi -ExternalUrl https://mail.xxxxx.cz/mapi -IISAuthenticationMethods Negotiate

Huh?
    Friday, September 14, 2018 11:05 PM
  • Can you please explain your solution and how to apply
    Monday, October 8, 2018 5:26 PM
  • Update: Barry's fixes are still holding up so this problem is definitely solved!
    Monday, October 8, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

I am in the same boat as many of you but for some reason Barry's fix is not working.

When I navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover the AutoDiscover key does not exist.

I went ahead and created it myself and also the DWORD ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint with value 1 but Outlook still keep asking for a password.

Outlook is currently on build 10827.20150 Monthly channel and this is a newly re imaged computer I am using as a test bench to fix this issue once and for all.

We run Exchange 2016 on a Windows 2012 R2 server.

I have read that reverting back to a previous version fixes it for some people and i have not yet tried that as I prefer keeping up to date, but if I have to I will.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what I could try?

Regards

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:53 PM
  • Here's what I tried beyond what I put in this post:

Installed Windows and Office updates, passed analyzer tests: https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/, disabled firewall and antivirus, compared updates with working systems, and recreated the Outlook profile, which included manually clearing the Outlook folders in the user's AppData folders

These items and the ones above take care of most problems so it wouldn't hurt to do some double checking.

If Outlook is the same version as the version on the computers without this problem, I would consider Outlook or Windows user profile corruption.

If Outlook is corrupted, it will probably won't remember the password for a different user using Outlook on the computer so give that a test and do a complete remove, cleanup, reinstall and update, if necessary.

If Outlook remembers the password, the original user's Windows profile might be corrupted so copy the user's local folders to the server, delete it, recreate it, and copy the user files back.  If you must copy user's hidden AppData folders, exclude the Outlook subfolders.

• Edited by The Victim Friday, October 12, 2018 2:31 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:36 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. My user is from Europe, has an O365 account, here at our office until tomorrow. I used a completely different computer on my domain and logged him in, launched outlook it immediately prompts for password. I've tried FQDN, his email address etc but nothing changes. I've tried the reg hack posted earlier in this thread; no change, only question about that is when I created the key I user 64bit as that is the flavor of the OS  and Outlook. BTW, on other computer outlook 2016 is installed local. His AD password is set not to expire, user cannot change. I will try and change the password and we will see what happens. Any help would be greatly appriciated
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Barry,

After looking into a bunch of fixes online. Your registry edit to ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint value 1 was the only fix that worked.

I had an issue with one user Windows 10 and office 2016 using on-prem sbs 2011 using exchange 2010. The user kept being prompted for credentials.

Tried recreating the profile, deleting windows credentials, even recreated user profile.

Thanks,

Arnel

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:14 PM
  • Hi Guys, 

writing here because I've a similar problem since yestarday on 2 different pc's of 2 different companies. They both have an onpremise and a 365 account. 

365 Account started to ask for password, if you insert it and it's right one it doesn't works and prompt again. They have a 2016 H & B click to run Office, last updated.

I've read this post but i fear that if modify the regkey the 365 account is no more able to login first time. I've tried to remove the whole suite, recreate profile, reconfigure account, but on that computers no more 365 login is possibile. Onpremise works perfectly. If i try on a test machine it works without problems.

Have any additional idea? I think it's a bug on an undate of a kind..but no one does updates or canged passwords...

thank you.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:59 AM
  • hi sir can you help me, for outlook 2010 the same problem

Thank you!

Friday, November 16, 2018 9:30 AM
  • I've also have experienced the same thing across ~20 machines of 300 that we have both on Win 7 and Win 10. 
    Incessant password prompts are SUPER annoying.

Haven't found a complete fix, but have multiple experiences to share. 

Scenario one-- we sign out of all O365 related software on the machine, nuke the credential manager of all Microsoft related entries, sign out in Setting-Accounts-Email & app accounts (in Win10) restart and sign in. Typically works for us for Win 10.

Scenario two-- on Win 7 and 10, using Revo uninstaller and uninstalling office and reinstalling office.

Today, a situation occurred when both of these options didn't work. It had an issue uninstalling office, and an issue reinstalling office. I downloaded Microsoft SARA, and it fixed the install portion, but still didn't get rid of the prompts. The SARA program also had an option to troubleshoot the password prompts, but it didn't work for me. I've disabled every add-on thinking it was one of those, but that didn't work either. Outlook safe mode does work and doesn't prompt the password, so that might be a key as to what the heck is going on. 

Frustrating that this has occurred for the past 6 years with different fixes across all years. 

Hopefully there will be a solution.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 8:54 PM
  • Would this fix work on a machine that is not apart of a domain? I have two remote users that are mostly affected by this issue.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 3:30 PM
  • I have a similar issue.

My company have an Exchange Server 2010 up to date and have VPN L2TP over a firewall Zyxel with only one account common for all users. Microsoft VPN Client is used to connect to the Zyxel VPN .

When client computers of my company are in LAN, Outlook work perfectly. When clients are out of company and connected Outlook using Outlook Anyware, everything works perfectly. When clients are connected via VPN in L2TP, Outlook work correctly but require password every 5 minutes proposing the VPNUSER account.  Even if the password request is canceled, Outlook works correctly.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:32 PM
  • Try following this:  https://kb.intermedia.net/article/39713

• Proposed as answer by thiagos0 Friday, December 7, 2018 4:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by thiagos0 Friday, December 7, 2018 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Does anyone know if Microsoft has released any notes on the problem? Does it tell you if the problem was due to some type of update (KB)?
    Friday, December 7, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Thank you worked great!
    Friday, December 7, 2018 5:56 PM
  • I made the changes you suggested to the registry and it worked great. Thank You!
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:12 PM
  • This worked and thank you 

Frank E. Merkel Systems/Network Administrator Dannible & McKee LLP Syracuse, NY

Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:23 PM
  • Hello,

Benoît

value 1

Fought this same issue for a week after introducing an Exchange 2019 server into our Exchange 2013 environment.  In our case, one registry edit would fix some users, and another would fix other users, but no single entry fixed every user.  After I got tired of trying each one until I found that user's "magic token", I made a single .REG file with all 6 registry entries.  So now, I have "One file to fix them all!"   

NOTE: When using a program like Notepad to create the .REG file, be sure your code includes the "Windows Registry Editor Version" line as the very first line.  Then put an empty line before each registry key path with the key value on the next line under the Key path.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity] 
    "DisableADALatopWAMOverride"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]
    "ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeLastKnownGoodUrl"=dword:00000001

"ExcludeHttpsRootDomain"=dword:00000001