Adprepping 2003 to 2008 and FSMO roles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a Windows 2003 AD with 3 domain controllers running Win2K3 R2

Only one has all five FSMO roles

If I wanted to upgrade one of the non-FSMO role domain controllers to Windows 2008 32-bit, can I run adprep on that domain controller?  Or do must have to run adprep on the domain controller with all 5 FSMO roles (since it has Schema and Infrastructure)? 

Or should I transfer the Schema and Infrastructure role to one of the other domain controllers first?

---

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I would suggest that you post your question in the forum for Directory Service. Here we talk about Exchange Server

Directory Services Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/threads

You can prepare your AD for 2008 on any Domain Controller you have.
    Personally I would never upgrade a Server. Always better to do a fresh install.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Martina_Miskovic Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Evan Liu Monday, December 24, 2012 1:38 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

You can follow this order to upgrade domain controllers:

<1> Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on a member server that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 in the forest root domain by using the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (Dcpromo.exe).

<2>In each domain, upgrade the operating system on the domain controller that holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role, or transfer the role to a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

<3>Continue upgrading domain controllers or retiring domain controllers that you no longer want to keep in your infrastructure, until the domain upgrade is complete.

You can know more detail from this document:

Determine Domain Controller Upgrade Order

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732085(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I would suggest that you post your question in the forum for Directory Service. Here we talk about Exchange Server

Directory Services Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/threads

You can prepare your AD for 2008 on any Domain Controller you have.
    Personally I would never upgrade a Server. Always better to do a fresh install.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Martina_Miskovic Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Evan Liu Monday, December 24, 2012 1:38 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

You can follow this order to upgrade domain controllers:

<1> Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on a member server that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 in the forest root domain by using the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (Dcpromo.exe).

<2>In each domain, upgrade the operating system on the domain controller that holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role, or transfer the role to a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

<3>Continue upgrading domain controllers or retiring domain controllers that you no longer want to keep in your infrastructure, until the domain upgrade is complete.

You can know more detail from this document:

Determine Domain Controller Upgrade Order

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732085(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:02 AM