none
Any software recommendations for remote desktop working between win 7 & 8 ?

Question

• The following image shows the error I get using Windows' efforts for remote access

trying to access Windows 8 (version 6.2.9200) from Win 7 Home Premium SP1 (version 6.1.7601)

So I'm now looking for something that works ! Any suggestions ?

Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:59 PM

Answers

• I think LogmeIn or Teamviewer should solve the problem. Maybe you can search from the Internet but I can not guarantee product's performance or reliability.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by pmailkeey Monday, August 13, 2018 4:43 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 11:12 AM

All replies

• Home edition is not supporting Remote Desktop. Upgrade to Pro edition.

Microsoft Remote Desktop assistant

You should disable Firewall or any anti virus application before launching the operation.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, August 5, 2018 1:31 AM
  • Hi pmailkeey,

Firstly, we should know that Windows Home Edition doesn't support remote desktop connection. It can Remote Desktop for connecting to other computers, but you can't remote desktop to Windows Home itself.

Thus, if you both of them are Home Edition, please upgrade to Windows Pro edition.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 6, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Hi Karen,

The win 8 doesn't state which version it is - hence stating the version 6.2.9200.

While you say that home premium doesn't support it, why does the UI offer it - and give an error message which indicates that it looks like it should be possible ?

The OSes came with the computers. Sadly, I'm still waiting for Windows 98 third edition. Is a free upgrade to 7 pro available ?

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Hi pmailkeey,

Windows 8 is Home Edition. It's the same as the Windows 7 Home Premium support client only in Remote Desktop. They cannot be as host Server in Remote Desktop.

Thus that's by design you cannot launch the Remote Desktop Connection between two Home edition Windows.

Furthermore, there is no free upgrade path to Windows 7 Pro.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Use Microsoft SKYPE..Its free,its Win 7 8 &10 compatable,easy to use,lets users even get files/folders/media/etc from contact pc..actually more options are available,edit & allow in Win firewall..
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:32 AM
  • Thanks Karen - so is there an alternative of controlling the other PC remotely ?
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:36 AM
  • Transferring files isn't a great issue (although works better one way than the other !!) The Win 8 machine refuses to give me access to the C drive.

The functionality I'm particularly after is remote control of media player, volume etc. as I use it as an audio player like you'd have a radio on in the background.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Thanks Karen - so is there an alternative of controlling the other PC remotely ?

I cam not familiar 3rd party software. Maybe you can search from the Internet but I can not guarantee product's performance or reliability.

Monday, August 13, 2018 11:05 AM
  • I think LogmeIn or Teamviewer should solve the problem. Maybe you can search from the Internet but I can not guarantee product's performance or reliability.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by pmailkeey Monday, August 13, 2018 4:43 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 11:12 AM
  • TeamViewer seems to be working fine, many thanks.
    Monday, August 13, 2018 4:43 PM