Drag and drop and copy/paste RRS feed

• Question

• When will Drag and drop and copy/paste be added ? with out Intergration Features (TS Server)
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Thomas,

Drag/drop is no longer available with or without integration features. Copy/paste too requires Integration Features to be enabled for Windows Virtual PC.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

Drag/drop is no longer available with or without integration features. Copy/paste too requires Integration Features to be enabled for Windows Virtual PC.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Without using Integration Features, there is a partial workaround. If you use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the virtual machine and specify that local drives be shared, you'll be able to see the host's local drives in Windows Explorer in the virtual machine. You can copy and paste files from host to guest and vice-versa using this technique. It's quite handy.

Monday, August 10, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I discovered today I couldn't drag and drop files from my host to my guest computers using an internal network. This was a great feature in VPC 2007 - why the heck did they take it out if favour of the goofy integration? It's mind boggling. I guess being able to run applications in Windows 7 from a WinXP host is more important than anything else :(
    VDI for the win!
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:13 PM
  •  I guess being able to run applications in Windows 7 from a WinXP host is more important than anything else :(

Basically, yes. The top priority for WVPC was application compatibility.
    Bill
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:31 AM
  • But how many Virtual PCs can be integrated simultaneously?  I'm pretty sure it's one.

For those using Window Virtual PC the way they used Virtual PC 2007, i.e. to run more than one Virtual PC, it's extremely frustrating not being able to copy/paste between Virtual PCs.

Firstly, I can't integrate them all and use the copy/paste functionality that IS built into Windows Virtual PC.

Secondly, I run 9 Virtual PCs.  One I actually want integrated, and the other eight I don't.  But I do want (need) to copy/paste between all of them.

Thirdly, even if I were able to integrate all 9 Virtual PCs, what a mess that would be.  I don't want to.  I want to use them as discreet systems-within-systems, as Virtual PC has always been.  They all have separate IP addresses and connect to separate VPNs and I really don't want to have all that configuration muddled together on the one host.  As I said - what a mess!

Windows Virtual PC feels like one step forward and two steps back from Virtual PC 2007.  Fantastic multi-core support and ease-of-use, and of course (where wanted) the integration is great.  But where have all the configuration options gone?  It's too simple.  Where is copy/paste?  It feels like it was really only designed to ever run ONE Virtual PC, and no more.  And that one should be integrated, because if it's not, you get half an experience.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:14 AM
  • Integration Features are not available for all operating systems. But if you are running operating systems for which Integration Features work, why do you think you can't have it enabled in all of them?

The configuration options are fully available. Open Windows Explorer and enter this into the address bar:

%USERPROFILE%\Virtual Machines

You will see a list of all virtual machines. You can change the configuration settings for any of the virtual machines. Unlike Virtual PC 2007, Windows 7 Virtual PC does a great job running more than one virtual machine. If you have a multicore machine, it can take full advantage of it, something Virtual PC 2007 cannot do.

If you need to run many virtual machines simultaneously, maybe Hyper-V is a better option for you.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

My point about integration is that if you were to integrate more than one Virtual PC, let alone nine, everything would be a complete mess all over the host OS.  I wouldn't know which IE window belonged to which VPC, and I wouldn't easily be able to connect/reconnect VPN connections in each VPC.  VPC integration, as a concept, is fine if you only plan to integrate one VPC, or plan on using VPCs for completely different tasks and can easily tell which is which and what's going on.  It's also fine, provided you don't have a need to access anything other than the integrated applications, because if you want to get to the OS configuration (e.g. for network connections) then it's no longer straightforward.

In essence, it seems that my point (and that of others) is this: In the Windows Virtual PC configuration settings for each VPC, there is a section named "Integration Features".  All those features look fantastic, until you realise that they only work if your VPC is set to integrate.  I can't be alone in NOT wanting to integrate my VPCs - but why can all these wonderful options not be available without integration?  I'm talking about audio, clipboard, printer, smart cards and drive access.

VPC2007 allows you to create shared folders.  This feature has been removed from Windows Virtual PC in favour of the integrated drive access.  It's a much better concept as the pretend network drives of VPC2007 were super slow to access, but this doesn't work if the VPC isn't integrated.

VPC2007 allows you to share the clipboard.  This feature is also available in Windows Virtual PC, but also only if the VPC is integrated.

Unfortunately, from what I've read on this forum regarding Hyper-V - the clipboard isn't available to share between VPCs in that either.  I don't really need Hyper-V, as Windows Virtual PC handles 9 VPCs fine.  But where's the clipboard sharing?

So VPC2007 was the last iteration to allow copying/pasting across VPCs and between the host and VPC.  As if to add insult to injury, after Windows Virtual PC has been installed on a Windows 7 host, it prevents VPC2007 from ever being installed again.  Nothing but a clean format and install of Windows will allow you to use VPC2007 on Windows 7.

What a palaver!

Please can Windows Virtual PC users in Windows 7 be able to share the clipboard (and drives and other resources) between VPCs and the host regardless of integration!?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:59 PM
  • You don't have to use all the integration feature in all the VM's, you can pick and choose -- one VM's publishes apps, one VM shares you host hard drives, all share the clipboard and smart card, or any mix and match you want.  I use integration features on all the OS's that it's available for myself, but I have other VM's that it's not available for and that's okay too.  If it's an older Windows OS, I use the VPC additions so I get time sync, and for others I don't use anything special at all.  It's all cool and works well in WVPC.

As for not ever being able to install VPC 2007 on a host that had WVPC, that's not true, it's very doable.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:15 PM
  • How funny, I was just reading through some other people's posts and thinking "Where's Bob Comer when I need him?" - so thanks for the reply Bob!

Ok, so it sounds like the WVPC Integration isn't all-or-nothing.  I have the wrong end of the stick about it.

Here's the deal; I'm running 9 Windows XP VPCs using WVPC in Windows 7 (obviously).  One runs Outlook, and I've integrated that fully, so the Outlook application appears on my Windows 7 host start bar.  Fantastic!  That works.  And the clipboard sharing works in that too.

The other 8 VPCs I run old-skool, stand-alone in their own little windows.  This works great, however because I have integration disabled on all of them (to prevent them pooling their apps into the host start bar) I can't share the clipboard or drives.

Is what you're saying, that I can keep them in their separate windows, but turn ON integration, and only choose to integrate the drives and clipboard but leave the apps within their VPC windows? If so, wonderful - how can I do that (as I haven't figured it out).  If not... I really can't have all the VPC apps in the host start bar, it's not practical.  Have I got the wrong end of the stick again?

Cheers Bob!!!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Auto-publish!  I'm going to turn that off and see what happens.  Maybe this is it... the answer to everyone's clipboard sharing woes in WVPC!!!

...fingers crossed!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Holy ____ Bob Comer it works!!!

So to everyone having issues with NOT being able to share your clipboard or drives in Windows Virtual PC... firstly make sure your VPC has a user and password assigned.  Power down the VPC.  Go to the settings and DISABLE Auto-Publish (if you don't want to have all your VPC applications mashed into your host start bar with everything else) and ENABLE all the "Integration Features" you want.  Boot the VPC, enter the username/password you set and hey-presto!  INTEGRATED CLIPBOARD.  INTEGRATED DRIVES!

Blimey, Microsoft make that a fiddly pain-in-the-____ to understand!  Not that I'm thick, but nobody I know has worked that out.  Bob, thank you!  If I'd have read further into everything in the WVPC help file I would've possibly worked it out, but I really appreciate your suggestions and assistance.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for the vote of confidence! <g>

To turn of the publishing of apps to the host, all you have to do is shut the VM down (not hibernate, it has to be a full shutdown,), and go into the settings for the VM, and it's the "Auto Publish" tab, just uncheck the checkmark.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Glad you got it working like you wanted!

I agree it's not really that intuitive, but once you do figure out where everything is, it works pretty well.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:36 PM