none
Prevent Users From Saving to Desktop - Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I am using Windows SteadyState 2 (not Beta) on Windows XP Pro SP2.  I have two profiles set up, an Administrator (Admin) and a Limited User (Visitor) on this box. I am attempting to use SS to secure the Visitor profile.  Almost everything works as it should, except that regardless of the settings I choose, nothing prevents the Visitor profile from saving files to the desktop.  I have tried:

1.  CHECKED - Windows Restrictions  - Prevent users from saving to desktop.
         CHECKED - Computer Restrictions - Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive c:\.   

2.  UNCHECKED - Windows Restrictions  - Prevent users from saving to desktop.
         CHECKED - Computer Restrictions - Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive c:\.    

3.  CHECKED - Windows Restrictions  - Prevent users from saving to desktop.
         UNCHECKED - Computer Restrictions - Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive c:\.  

4.  UNCHECKED - Windows Restrictions  - Prevent users from saving to desktop.
         UNCHECKED - Computer Restrictions - Prevent users from creating folders and files on drive c:\.  

None of these changes seem to produce any effect. That is, regardless of how I configure these two settings, under my Visitor profile (Limited Account) I am always able to choose File > Save/Save As from the program's Menu... and then successfully save anything to the desktop.  This of course, is not the desired result.  I want to make certain that nothing is able to be saved to the desktop (or elsewhere).  I have only allowed access to a limited number of applications in this profile, but all of them are able to save.  The apps are: Microsoft WordPad v5.1, Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.

SteadyState DOES prevent IE6 from downloading .zip and .exe files, but even in IE, I can choose File Save/Save As from the menu, and save an entire webpage to the desktop, complete with supporting folders, etc.  Once the data is saved to the desktop, SteadyState DOES successfully prevent it from being opened via double-click, etc.  And, after a restart, any files or folders created and saved to the desktop under this Visitor profile are no longer present when I log back into the Limited (Visitor) profile.  This is a good thing, but not how, I suspect, SS is supposed to function.  I mean, it's not supposed to save anything to the desktop at all, right?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Robb

Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:11 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Robb,

Thank you for posting here!

I haven't experienced this issue before. How about creating a new user profile and then enable the above two restrictions?

Best Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:42 AM