Mapping Network Drive Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I have never had to map a network drive before, but I am caught in a bad spot because I have to do it now! I am working on three computers at a law office at the moment and I have to map their drives for a program to work correctly. The program is called Abucus Law and it says that in order for it to work, the drives have to mapped. I figured out how to map the drive, and I know that the drives have to mapped under a sequence that is pretty much the same, for example:

Shared Drive on C:\\LT554_Abucus103 on Computer 1

Shared Drive on C:\\LT554_Abucus104 on Computer 2

Would that work correctly? The main problem that I am having is that once I get the drives mapped, I cannot figure out how to get them to connect to each other. There is 3 computers right now, but I am not worried about the third at the moment, I am just going to set that one up so computer 1 and 2 can see the files on computer 3 and vise versa. I need computer 1 to show computer 2's mapped drives (and the files under the mapped drive) and I also need computer 1 to show the mapped drive (and files) it has. I need computer 2 to do the same thing.

Computer 1 is connected to a router via Wi-Fi and Computer 2 is connected via Ethernet. Does that make a difference? Both computers are Dells (I am not in the office so I do not know the exact model) and they are both running Windows XP x86. Computer 1 does not have a virus protector at the moment and computer 2 has Semantic endpoint.

I had to completely remove all of the contents and do a clean install on computer 1 because it was unable to start up no matter what and computer 1 did have a mapped network drive before I did a clean install. Computer 2 had a mapped network drive, but I deleted it because it was older. Is it possible to do a system restore to get that mapped network drive back on computer 2?

Any ideas on how to map the network drive and get the drives showing up on both computers would be really appreciated. I have been searching on the Internet and I can not find anyone that is having this problem or who is even bringing it up. Am I doing something wrong? I am just going to my computer and clicking on the C:\ Drive and clicking the map network drive link and assigning a letter to the drive. For some reason it does not seem like it should be that easy.

Please help guys! I am not in the office as of right, but I will be there tomorrow morning so any help to get me started before 10:00AM EST tomorrow will really be helpful. A full tutorial, advice, ANYTHING! I wouldn't think computer information would be that important for this, because you know the OS type, and I am pretty sure it is a Dell precision desktop maybe? I am not sure!

Thanks guys!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:06 PM

Answers

• Since the computers are connected on workgroups, you will need to setup the credentials for logon prior to mapping.

On each computer (for example Computer 1)

- Launch the "User Accounts" (run nusrmgr.cpl at command prompt)

- Click on the "Advanced" tab.

- Click on the "Manage Passwords" button.

- Click on the "Add" button.

- On the server field, enter one of the other computers hostname (e.g. Computer 2)

- Fill in the "User name" and "Password" field accordingly. The account must be administrator for that computer.

- Repeat the process to add Computer 3.

To summarise,

Computer 1 should have credentials for Computer 2 and 3.

Computer 2 should have credentials for Computer 1 and 3.

Computer 3 should have credentials for Computer 1 and 2.

The <NOT SURE WHAT GOES HERE> that you have mentioned refers to the drive where the "Backup" folder is located. For example, C-drive use c$, D-drive use d$ etc.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:01 AM

All replies

• The main problem that I am having is that once I get the drives mapped, I cannot figure out how to get them to connect to each other. There is 3 computers right now, but I am not worried about the third at the moment, I am just going to set that one up so computer 1 and 2 can see the files on computer 3 and vise versa. I need computer 1 to show computer 2's mapped drives (and the files under the mapped drive) and I also need computer 1 to show the mapped drive (and files) it has. I need computer 2 to do the same thing.

Mapping for all 3 computers:

- Map M drive to Computer 1

- Map N drive to Computer 2

- Map O drive to Computer 3

Some assumptions made here since you did not mention in your question:

- All 3 computers are connected to the same domain (not workgroup).

- Your account has administrative rights over the 3 computers.

Mapping network drives using default share name (c$)

===================================

- Right click "My Computer"

- Click on "Map Network Drive..."

- Choose a drive letter (e.g. M)

- In the Folder field, enter \\Computer1\c$\LT554_Abucus103

- Check the "Reconnect at Logon" if you want to (self explanatory).

- Click the "Finish" button.

- Repeat for the remaining 2 mapped drives.

Hope it helps...

• Edited by Tas76 Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:04 AM
  • That does help! Now that someone answered, I know what I missed!

The computers are on a workgroup, not a domain. And Computer 1 would be the main computer. The way the guys before me set it up is they are on a workgroup, there is no server. They had computer 1 named something like LT4532_302 (not sure what it really is) and they had a folder named Backup. So it was \\LT4532_302\(NOT SURE WHAT GOES HERE)\Backup (i think). I know it was drive F on computer 1 and drive G on computer 2 that was mapped.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Since the computers are connected on workgroups, you will need to setup the credentials for logon prior to mapping.

On each computer (for example Computer 1)

- Launch the "User Accounts" (run nusrmgr.cpl at command prompt)

- Click on the "Advanced" tab.

- Click on the "Manage Passwords" button.

- Click on the "Add" button.

- On the server field, enter one of the other computers hostname (e.g. Computer 2)

- Fill in the "User name" and "Password" field accordingly. The account must be administrator for that computer.

- Repeat the process to add Computer 3.

To summarise,

Computer 1 should have credentials for Computer 2 and 3.

Computer 2 should have credentials for Computer 1 and 3.

Computer 3 should have credentials for Computer 1 and 2.

The <NOT SURE WHAT GOES HERE> that you have mentioned refers to the drive where the "Backup" folder is located. For example, C-drive use c$, D-drive use d$ etc.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:01 AM