Cannot Boot Windows Vista, BSOD and different error messages RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows Vista on a HP Pavillion dv4-1225dx.
    Last night, I shut my laptop and put it on Hibernate before I went to sleep. I hadn't installed any hardware or even software in the recent past.
    In the morning, I tried to start up my computer and I found that it would not boot. I restarted, and I ran into a very inconsistent series of error messages and BSOD's.
    In general, I have run into the error that startup cannot be complete because of an error, and am directed to the startup repair utility. However, this does not repair the problem either, as it either goes to a) BSOD again or b)It cannot repair the problem and asks me to reboot.
    I also tried to boot into safe mode, but the same thing occurs. I never reach the desktop.
    I have also tried to launch Vista from a recoery disc that I burned (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ ). This leads to a variety of BSOD's ranging from Stop Error 0x0000008E, 0x0000007E, Ntfs.sys Page Fault in Nonpaged Area 0x00000050. It seems to be a different stop error every time)
    When I try to launch normally, without a recovery disc, I tried to do system recovery. However, I cannot restore my X: drive (boot) and only the C: drive. However, this also does not work. An error message saying "An attempt has been made to execute an illegal instruction. 0xC000001d occurred in application at 0xfbc161CC" . Then I get a BSOD Saying Memory Management with stop error 0x0000001A.

I'm not a tech guy and on top of that, I use a mac normally, so I'm not sure how I should go about this problem. I've tried almost every route that I can imagine to get past this. Could this be a virus? Thanks in advance for the reply.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Firstly, it seems to be a hardware defect, I recommend that you contact HP for hardware detection.

If HP detects that hardware is normally, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot this kind of issue, here I just provide some common troubleshooting in this forum. If the issue persists, I may need to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS  

To move on, let's take the following methods.

1.    Enter Win RE to run CHKDSK C: /R and SFC /SCANNOW command.

1)     Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2)     When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)     Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4)     Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

5)     In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following commands. Please press the Enter key after entering the following command.

CHKDSK C: /R

6)     Click Y and then check if the system is able to check the hard disk.

7)     Run SFC /SCANNOW to scan system files and recover corrupted ones.

2.    Boot with Windows PE to troubleshoot the issue. You can download Windows PE from the following website.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4284-9123-679830d629f2&DisplayLang=en

Windows PE can help replace system files, recover data before reinstalling Windows and run diagnostic and configuration tools. 

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Well, the only problem is that I am in Korea at the moment. Not sure how to get English tech service here.

But I went ahead and tried to perform the checkdisk. THe problem is that only once have I been able to reach the "Repair" screen. Every time I start up I run into the "Windows Error Recovery" screen, which leaves me only two options: Launch Startup Repair, and Start Windows Normally. Starting windows normally always results in the BSOD and a different Stop Error every time. Launching startup repair also leads to BSOD half the time, and the rest of the time will either not be able to solve the problem, or ask if I want to system restore, after which I run into BSOD. As you can see, I'm pretty stuck in every way out of this mess. But I will continue to try and get to repair, and post if I achieve success.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since you are current in Korea, please visit the following website for regional support phone numbers.

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/default.aspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:07 AM
  • I've got the same problem. The machine has started doing the BSOD and I cant figure out how to get back to the desktop. Of course, when we bought the darn thing, we didnt make a boot disk and no matter what I try, I cant get it to the desktop. I've seen Memory_Management and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA as some of the error messages. Booting in Safe Mode with or without the Command Prompt doesnt give me enough to work with.

The Diagnostics says everything checks out. Its interesting though.... when it checks the 4GB of memory, it cruises through about 40% and then slows down considerably. It took about 5 mins to scan the remaining 15 or so percent. Could it be a bad memory stick?

The machine has already had the motherboard and hard drive replaced. The hard drive is about 2 weeks old and the motherboard is about 6 weeks. Its actually the third motherboard in the machine so its very frustrating. My even older XP machine hasnt had any problems but my 2 yr old Vista box is just falling to pieces!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kevin

Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:05 AM