I cannot install windows :O RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone at Microsoft Forums,

I have one problem, I did have Windows Vista Home Premium on my Acer Aspire 3680. The other day I wanted to know what Ubuntu was like, as I have a Windows Vista Installation disk, I thought I can easily switch back.

Unfortunatly when I inserted the vista installation disk a message came up when it asked me where I would like to install it. The following message came up for both my 2 internal hard drives and removeable hard drive:

Windows Cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partion formatted as NTFS.

I do not know where to start with partioning Sad.

Please can someone help me out as this is the only computer in my house and I need it for school work using Microsoft office because the school has Vista and not Ubuntu.

Daniel.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:23 PM

All replies

• On the screen where vists displays the different hard drive partitions it saw, there is a link or button that allows you to see a more advanced view.

Enable that view and it will give you a few more options, such as format and delete.

Delete the existing partitions and format the (now) one large partition. Part of the format process should as you if you want to format the hard drive as NFTS.

That should solve your problem of not having an NTFS partition to install to...

It may also let you get through the entire installation process only to bomb out when it is rebooted.

Ubuntu may very well have overwritten the MBR, or Master Boot Record. That is the spot on the hard drive that tells Windows or Linux where to locate the information needed to boot to your chosen Operating System.

If you follow those steps above and it will not boot, you'll have to reboot from the DVD and go into the repair functionality mode and do the following:

Boot from DVD and go to the repair option that gives you a command prompt

type fdisk /mbr and hit enter. That should re-write the backup copy of your master boot record over the one Linux installed when u ran its installer.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

If your talking about while I am running the installation progress then unfortunatly when I click Format drive it wont let me do it,this is for both hard drives I have got built in.

I have also tried my removable hard drive but to no luck Sad.

If however your not talking about the installation progress please redirect me while running ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Have you tried any other 3rd repartition tool to reformat your system?

Please note to use Windows Vista compatible one. The following website may help you:

http://www.appreadiness.com/default.aspx

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:51 AM