none
Hei, Command Line Switches Missing or Welcome!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Well we use MSCT with XP SP2, and all was going fine.

Now with XP SP3, we are forced to move to WSS. Fine.  

We’re testing WSS 2.5 and for the moment all works fine, EXCEPT the fact that I don’t find the command line switches necessary for remote management of Disk Protection.

I think it justifies having not only:

SCTUI.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot

SCTUI.exe /DisableWDPAndReboot

But also:

SCTUI.exe /WDPRemoveAllChanges

SCTUI.exe /WDPRetainUntil  -t 12h

SCTUI.exe /WDPRetainAll

My strategy for managing our large computer park (800 Pcs) is based on imaging and I expect to create the model image computer with the Protect Hard Disk On and the option to retain all changes permanently.

After deployment and configuration, only activate remotely the option to remove all changes at restart.

We prepare all our classrooms without user intervention.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• I forgot to mention a very important switch:

SCTUI.exe /WDPStatus

And a little correction, I meant to say that we prepare all our classrooms without local technician intervention.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:39 AM
  •  

Hi Daniel, thank you for the suggestions regarding SCTUI parameters. Though the commands are not available now, I believe these can be very convenient for those who manages several hundreds computers and I will send your valuable feedback to our product team.

Best regards,

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

All of these functions are exposed through the WMI-based WDP API.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938335 for examples.
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Thank you all for the answers!

Well, I’m afraid I have bad news!

Cloning XP SP3 with Symantec Solution Suite 2.5(fresh new version of ghost 11.5), and WSS 2.5 Failed!

Here is the scenario:

1.       Prepare the model machine

a.       install xp sp3 with updates

b.      install wss 2.5

2.       Activate WDP throught the User Interface

3.       Set the WDP_MODE_COMMIT option active

4.       Save the Image

When cloning the image WDP is turned off.

Since there is no way to remotely turn it on, we are tied up.

I have to go to all my 800 computers manually, and turn on WDP!?

Someone, please tell the developer engineers that we expect a URGENT solution for this case, we invest thousands of Euros and Dollars in Windows Licenses, Symantec Licenses and now we are tied to manage our entire computer park with XP sP2 with Shared toolkit.

This summer we are receiving new computers to our 30 classrooms, HP xW4600T, that we expect to deploy with Dual Boot, Windows Vista and Linux System, but until we don’t find the solution for this problem, they are being deployed with XP sp2.

Please, find the appropriate way of turning WDP On and Off, remotely!

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:42 AM
  • Whoops, sorry about the empty post.

What if you set a runonce command before you ghost the machines?  The runonce command could be sctui.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot so that as soon as they ghost down they enable windows disk protection and reboot.

Jamie
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I created a GPO machine startup batch file with "sctui.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot" in it - works very well - it enabled the WDP component and reboots the computer.

I just need to figure out how to change the WDP_MODE_COMMIT option via a script and that same GPO....

Cheers
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:30 AM