POSIX Subsystem for Windows in secpol.msc RRS feed

• Question

• I saw the key for "Optional Subsystems" in the local security policy. I saw that POSIX was added too. I do need to run apps that use the POSIX subsystem, so I copied a plain binary file from a Linux machine onto windows and tired to execute it. But I got the this app can't run on your computer message.

Am I setting up the POSIX subsystem incorrectly, or are there more things that I have to do?

Thanks!

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This GP is not mean to support unix application running in Windows 10, but it can support running in the subsystem.

Subsystem is the separated and virtualized environment on Windows Based OS, if you would like to run the applications, you need to boot into the subsystem.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NT_pro Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This GP is not mean to support unix application running in Windows 10, but it can support running in the subsystem.

Subsystem is the separated and virtualized environment on Windows Based OS, if you would like to run the applications, you need to boot into the subsystem.  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by NT_pro Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Do you know how to boot into the subsystem? Do I have to add a bootmgr entry or do something else?

Thank you

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:42 AM
  • Refer to this guide to know how to get this subsystem work: https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:56 AM