Unable to move documents between libraries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a document library with 11,000+ documents and I want to archive some of the docs to a different library (for performance reasons).

When I select Actions & Move through Manage Content and Structure, I get a "Server Out of Memory" error (even if I select just 1 document). Yet the server resources seem to be fine.

I have also tried to move files using the Explorer View, but I get an error suggesting that the folder is not accessible - you may not have permission to use this netwrok resource (I dont think this is the case though). It then goes on to report that "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation".

However, when I try the same on other, much smaller libraries (a couple of hundred docs), then it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Thanks

Gary

• Edited by Gary.King Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:45 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Gary.King,

First, may be you need add some memoray on your server.Second,you can use SharePoint Designer 2007 open your site. Find you library, choose your file, drag them to other library.

Thanks,

Jack

Friday, March 30, 2012 3:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Performance issues always arrive when you have such huge contents in a single folder. I would suggest you that first you place your contents in difference folders and then through manage content and structure move documents from this subfolder to the other one.

In an alternative way you can approach for IRM policies as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:24 AM
  • If it is a onetime activity have you explored the possibilities of using SharePoint workspace?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-workspace-help/managing-documents-in-a-documents-tool-HA010352495.aspx 

~ Jeethu Joseph | Consultant ~ SharePoint |MCP,MCAD.Net,MCSD.Net,MCTS,A+| SharePointLogics

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion....

Unfortunately, we are running MOSS 2007 - the article appears to be for 2010.

Also, I should mention that my Sharepoint skills are very limited :o(

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

did you try the Bulk Action Feature?

http://spbulkactions.codeplex.com/

Thanks,

Raja

Thanks, S.Raja Singh.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:35 AM
  • I'm afraid that this is a production system and therefore I am not permitted to install the Bulk Actions feature.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:11 PM
  •  

Hi Gary.King,

First, may be you need add some memoray on your server.Second,you can use SharePoint Designer 2007 open your site. Find you library, choose your file, drag them to other library.

Thanks,

Jack

Friday, March 30, 2012 3:49 AM