Outlook search issue RRS feed

• Question

• Recently our search function stopped working. This has affected all of our Outlook clients. We have one on premise Exchange server 2016 on Windows 2016. We have a mixture of Outlook 2013 to 2019.

While in cached mode, we do a search and we get the error Yellow triangle and "Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed." Then below that it says, "It looks like there's a problem with your network connection." 

If I change it to search ALL outlook items it works even though it still says  Yellow triangle and "Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed." 

If I remove Exchange cached mode it also works fine.

If I try it in OWA it also works fine.

I believe this is something to do with the on-premise exchange server since it is affecting all of our outlook clients.

I have tried setting to Download email for the past: to ALL.

I have tried un-checking the download shared folders in the Advanced tab of account settings.

I don't want to have to disable cached mode. I want it to search local then prompt to search Exchange server as it was designed to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Friday, May 8, 2020 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Welcome to our fourm.

Before going further, please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook and Windows to the latest version.

I researched a lot about your issue and found that it may be related to Outlook or Windows and there are some other users who have the same issue as you. However, I have not found any official documents explaining this issue so far. 

I found a registry method which may be useful to you, please follow the steps below and see if it works:

1. Exit Outlook and open the Registry Editor
    2. Navigate to:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\search
      (The OCT registry path will be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\search)
    3. Create a new key
      DisableServerAssistedSearch
      REG_DWORD
    4. Restart your Outlook.

(Note: Serious problems can occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before making changes, back up the registry to restore it in case something goes wrong.)

If the issue still continues, I'm afraid that you may need to select “Let’s look on your computer instead” to start a local Windows Desktop Search after every error as a temporary workaround.

On the other hand, please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft.

Thanks for your patience and hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 11, 2020 6:00 AM
  • I have the same issue being reported across a number of my client sites and our own devices over the last few days.

All are

• on the latest updates from for W10 and Office 2016 and 2019 according to the OS and the "check for updates option in each office product. 
    • All are on-prem exchange server ranging from Version 2010 2013, 2016 and 2019.
    • One reported that after installing KB4537572 the issue appeared, though I don't know how much faith to place in this

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 10:16 AM
  • Thanks Jeff, I've had quote a bit on my job list so please accept my apologies for the late reply.

Some more information - some users (I am an IT contractor supporting multiple orgs) report that also when the folowing sequence is followed they get never get to see older emails.

1. They enter a phrase or word in the search box.
    2. They are told there is a problem and to search the local computer as described
    3. When they scroll to the bottom of the list of returned emails, they click on "more"
    4. They are then presented with the same error massage and are not provided with a list of the older emails they should see

It also seems to affect users of the following products

Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, O365, OLK 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019.  Some are customers who's IT systems I have built,  while others are add-hoc clients who have systems built by other IT Providers, and some are businesses who have purchased O365 themselves and have had no IT support involved in the setup.

I'll give the registry entry a try to see what the result is and report back.

• Edited by MBKITMGR Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:14 AM