Razer Megalodon Compatibility issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I've been having weird periodic mic muting with my new razer megalodon.

I was having static issues with my logitech usb headset and so I decided to try something new. Having seen these I thought it was about time I had some decent quality headphones (and razer has never done me wrong) so I bought them. However... the microphone and sometimes the sound itself seems to mute it self periodically and will not unmute unless I either unplug/replug or disable/enable in the playback/recording devices.

I noticed because my skype contacts would randomly stop hearing me as well as ventrilo stopped getting sound from the mic as well. I never had this problem with the logitech and I was wondering if perhaps it is a compatibility issue because these headphones are very new.

I've tried playing around with disabling other sound devices and making sure the microphone is default. I've tried all the front and back USB ports they all do the same. As far as I know the motherboard has the newest BIOS; also I don't think there is a USB traffic problem.

On a final note this is a new computer so perhaps the logitech usb headphones would have a similar problem I cannot check this because I sold them.
     Any ideas at all? Razer cannot seem to help me much because currently windows 7 is in beta.

Basic specs are as follows:

EVGA x58 sli le Motherboard
    Intel  Core i7 920 CPU
    6 gigs of Corsair xms ddr3 triple channel 1333mhz ram
    3 HDD - 1 500 Gig Maxtor, 2 1TB Hitachi
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce 250GTS Video Card
    Ultra 750Watt Power supply

Thanks in advance!

-Jordan
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:46 PM

Answers

• The megalodon is compatible with 7. I have it and on 7 the mic just blasts static the entire time and my voice cant even be heard. On vista it seemed to work ok. I wish this headset had drivers so i could run them in compatibility mode or something. you should msg me and tell me how u even got ur mic to work at all...
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 24, 2009 9:53 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:46 PM

All replies

• The megalodon is compatible with 7. I have it and on 7 the mic just blasts static the entire time and my voice cant even be heard. On vista it seemed to work ok. I wish this headset had drivers so i could run them in compatibility mode or something. you should msg me and tell me how u even got ur mic to work at all...
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, July 24, 2009 9:53 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I agree completely about wishing to run in compatibility mode. Idk how i got microphone to work I just plugged in and it worked. Try playing with the mic sensitivity or level on the megaladon itself.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:14 AM
  • I am my friend have the same issue. Im running windows xp 32bit, He is running win 7. The mic tends to mute itself when in the middle of playing games (very inconveniant). The static your hearing is an over sensative mic it sounds, to fix your issue go into either 7.1 or 2.0 (dosnt matter) then push the middle button labled "MIC SENS", with the volume wheel, lower that setting completely, Then push the middle button to accept your change. Next push the "MIC LEVEL" button and scroll this one to ~ 5 bars. (that is the output volume others will hear u at btw). The KEY thing to know about the megalodon is that when using the middle Logo button to switch between adjustable speakers, remember that if everything isnt lit up, think of it as ratios. Or like adjusting trim on a RC heli/Car/exc. The main mode (everything lit-up) is adjusting ALL sounds on ALL levels, while when in a diffrent mode your only adjusting the TRIM of a speaker(s) or bass. [Damn, that was a mouthful.] That should fix your static issue. I'v experienced two issues with the megalodon thus far, one is already mentioned; (the auto-mic-mute); The other is FEEDBACK! the Drivers (aka, speakers) are SO powerful the mic picks up the noise, even on the lowest "MIC SENS" level. The only way to talk to my friends is by using "Push-To-Talk", which i HATE. Lol sorry for the long post, hope i helped...

Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:53 AM
  • I am my friend have the same issue. Im running windows xp 32bit, He is running win 7. The mic tends to mute itself when in the middle of playing games (very inconveniant). The static your hearing is an over sensative mic it sounds, to fix your issue go into either 7.1 or 2.0 (dosnt matter) then push the middle button labled "MIC SENS", with the volume wheel, lower that setting completely, Then push the middle button to accept your change. Next push the "MIC LEVEL" button and scroll this one to ~ 5 bars. (that is the output volume others will hear u at btw). The KEY thing to know about the megalodon is that when using the middle Logo button to switch between adjustable speakers, remember that if everything isnt lit up, think of it as ratios. Or like adjusting trim on a RC heli/Car/exc. The main mode (everything lit-up) is adjusting ALL sounds on ALL levels, while when in a diffrent mode your only adjusting the TRIM of a speaker(s) or bass. [Damn, that was a mouthful.] That should fix your static issue. I'v experienced two issues with the megalodon thus far, one is already mentioned; (the auto-mic-mute); The other is FEEDBACK! the Drivers (aka, speakers) are SO powerful the mic picks up the noise, even on the lowest "MIC SENS" level. The only way to talk to my friends is by using "Push-To-Talk", which i HATE. Lol sorry for the long post, hope i helped...

I have noticed exactly the same issues. I thought the mic on mine was broken, and I was going to send it back. I did what you said and things are btter, but it is still a really poor for such an expensive headset!!

The other issues I have noticed when running windows 7, is that I periodically loose sound or the mic mutes itself. I have found only a re-boot will fix this. This is really annoying when in the middle of a game. Other people seems to be having the same problem.

I presume no drivers, no fix !!! :(

Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Same issue!  RMAed mine today.  Although, since everyone is having the same issue, I'm not hopeful about what I'll get back.

Anyone had issues with the playback randomly turning off as well?  That was more annoying than having to futz around with the mic levels.  But again, the whole point of the on board mic sens/volume feature was to be able to adjust the mic with the help of the sound loopback. 

I was a preorderer and was super excited.  I can't help but feel a little let down.  We'll see what Razer sends back. 

FYI used it on Vista 64 and 32.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Hi , yeah im too having issues with the mic cutting out randomly.Had the headset 4 days now and have mostly used them while playing left for dead.They sound great but on the first night using them the mic cut out only once so i wasnt too concerned.Anyway on my fourth day of using them the mic had cut out at least a dozen times ,i found this to be an absolute pain,only way to fix it  was to come out of the game and back in .Then i would get about 5-10 mins of gaming in and then it would cut out again :0(  Gonna take mine back today ,may try a replacement or money back .Keep you posted .

Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:31 AM
  • I'm using Windows Vista and I'm having a similar problem. I used to have a logitech USB headset as well and it worked perfectly. I bought the Megalodon and the mic will randomly stop working after a few minutes. The only way I can get it to work again is by shutting down the program I am using and reopen it. The only programs I've tried it with are Counter-Strike 1.6 and Ventrilo, both have the same problem. I'm currently working with Razer to try and get it fixed, I'll post if they figure something out for me.

P.S. Sounds amazing! :P
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:19 PM
  • I have had several different problems with my megalodon. Normally after 30 mins or longer of game playing either the mike stops working, the sound stops working, or the base goes distroted and then the sound stops working. I have all the latest drivers etc I am uising Vista 64 SP2. I dont have anything else plugged into USB. My computer is top spec. Razer tech support is rubbish, they just tell me to check my drivers and update windows, even though I have told them all this.. However I did get this e-mail from them saying

"We have highlighted this issue to our engineers and they know about this audio cutting out. We will update you should there be any news. Thank you."

There are lots of other forums with other people having similar problems

However I have also talked to people that have a megalodon with no issues at all and they love it..

Its pain in the ____ living in UK as I have to send mine back to Germany for replacement. However they hardly ever answer my emails so I am just having to put up with it for now.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I received my RMA pair of headphones about a week ago.  The mic static I had with the first pair is no longer there.  The audio hasn't cut out on me yet either.  I trying the new pair on both Vista64 and Win7 64.  Maybe just a bad batch?  We'll see.

-K
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:57 PM
  • please keep us informed if the problems have gone away... did your audio also cut out before.. have u tired with COD 5. Its a massive hassle returning headset but worth it if its a problem with a certain batch
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:53 AM
  • hi again received my replacement set today and within 5 minutes of playing left for dead the mic was cutting out,these things are an absolute joke ,i will be taking them back again tmro for a full refund.these things have  major issues that need to be adressed.thx j
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:54 PM
  • EVERYONE, it is not Razers fault the Mic is cutting out. It is a fault with microsoft. Here is a pasted respose i recovered from Newegg.

"Manufacturer Response:The Megalodon has just been released and we have heard of a few customers who are expericiancing bandwidth and other issues when attempting to use the Razer Megalodon. We have discovered the problem not be with the Razer Megalodon, but a result of Microsoft updates that need to be installed on the affected users computers. All Vista users should be make sure that SP2 has been installed on their computers. Also please see the links below for hot fixes available from Microsoft to address this issue.

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943599>
    • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953228

Razer|Wave"

So, there u have it. If you have windows vista your ok and can maybe even fix your issue. If your on XP or Win7 your fucked for the time being. If i find a hot-fix for the usb issue i will post it here for others to use. Another quicky solution that may help some of you out is pluging the USB into its own controller. IE, if you have front and back usb ports plug all your stuff in the back and plug only the megalodon in the front or Vice Versa.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:16 PM
  • To be fair, this is the same info that has been posted on their website for a while now.  With my first pair, I verified that I had the latest Windows and Hardware firmware updates.  Additionally, I had the same issues across multiple computers and OSes. 

Anyways, I just wouldn't discount a Megalodon problem too easily.  My RMA pair have been perfect so far in Vista and Win7.  But yes, please verify that your OS and Firmware are up to date.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:43 PM
  • the two hot fixes razer suggest are for pre SP2 vista so they are useless if windows Vista is up to date.. I have all the latest drivers, Sp and updates and my mike still cuts out, or i loose sound.

I still think its a overheating problem within control box. I have proved this by taking the control box apart and exposing circuits inside. The small heatsink gets very hot. There is no cooling or ventilation for it and when the control box is fitted together it encloses all the circuitry making the everything get quite hot, even though it does not feel that hot from the outside.

I can make mine fail very quickly if I point a hairdrier at it to simulate it running for a few mins.

just check to see how hot a normal sound card gets in a desktop computer and that has cooling they still get quite warm. The meaglodon is basically a sound card in a box with aboslutely no ventilation or cooling. Its no wonder it crashes after a few mins of gameplay use.

I suggested this to Razer but and their technicains are looking into it.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:25 PM
  • The overheating I think may be right, cuz the outside of mine does get quite warm, I should be getting RMA shortly so I will see
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Well even if you do find the thing to be overheating it wont matter. Sure you may have found the problem but when razer comes out with a fix or replacment set the warranty will be void should u open the control box and start disasembling things. Im glad we had one person try it out but dont everyone rush to confirm his idea or you may find yourself ____ up a creek when razer starts handing out new ones.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:46 AM
  • I have Vista and SP2 is installed. I tried the hotfixes and they opened and didn't do anything. If what themoschops says is true, then that's why. I let Razer know and the last thing they've said to me is...

"Hello,

We have forwarded your case to our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as we have any news. Thank you for your kind patience."

That was 08/25/2009 at 9:58AM CST so we'll see what happens... I'll keep you updated.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:14 AM
  • I've been in contact with an Engineer over at Razer for a few days.  They actually had me test out quite a few things with drivers and other usb devices.  None of it panned out but it did seem to prolong the amount of time before the initial Mic cut out issue.  The last thing he suggested was trying a powered USB hub.  I don't have one but there is a 4 port usb hub in my monitor.  Powered or not it's working and I can't find any documentation that the hub inside the monitor is powered.  Initially I tested with no other USB devices connected thinking that it might be a power drawl issue but even connected by itself it still occurred.  I'm not exactly sure why it would be any different unless the hub is actually supplying more power than the motherboard.

It's only been an hour or two of testing since using the built in hub.  I'll keep everyone posted if it holds and let Razer know in a bit if i feel its solid after a while.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:01 AM
  • I have ran with the heat issue and pulled it apart and dnagled it in front of a fan, ( the sound portion ) if this works, then hey! who knows.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Perhaps Aura it is the opposite, if in fact my test for heat holds true. Then perhaps it is because there is less power going into the unit that it heats slower aka not overheating like it does when hooked up to the computer hubs.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:20 AM
  • well, I can't tell if the hub in the monitor is powered or not.  It held for about 3 hours and then Both the headset and mic took a dump.  Usually its just the mic and has always been just the mic.  It is stable for longer but im still scratching my head.  It's pretty cold where I am right now and the windows are all wide open, the unit is a tad warm but not enough to cause any type of distortion or falure due to heat, at least it shouldn't while being only slightly warm.  I guess i'll have to run out and pick up a powered usb hub and test it now but the whole thing still stinks.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Definitely not heat I'm sending mine back for RMA. I was told by razer there are " no known issues with the megalodon at this time if a new headset does not fix the problem we can start to look for system problems again"
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:54 AM
  • hmm, little odd because I know Razer is aware of this issue.  They haven't gotten back to me since the last message yet, but at least the headset lasts a little longer on the hub.  I noticed that when it glitches out its identified as just a generic audio device in windows.  Usually its listed as Razer Megalodon while its working properly.  I don't think the tech has any more suggestions to try out so it'll probably go on to RMA or I'll just try and Refund the headset entirely.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:22 AM
  • I dont think it can be a power issue otherwise why does it take a few mins before a failure. Surely if there was insufficient power the headset would fail straight away. You could argue that a game would require more power for explosions etc. but if this is the case surely as soon as the game is started the headset would fail.

Device manager tells you how much currant the headset uses and its less than the 500 mA allowed I think its 460 mA so within allowable limits (thats under load playing music)

If this headset does require a powered USB Hub then surly Razer has fooled everyone into buying a product that will only work reliablely after buying extra hardware. Maybe they should have included one with the headset.

I took mine apart because Razer in their wisdom decided to give me a full refund for no apparant reason so effectively my headset is free so as far as I am concernend I can do what I want to it. Also there are no witness marks or anti tamper stckers etc that have to be removed to take control box apart. just one large sticker on the base that can be re stuck on perfectly with no signs of tamper.

After all this sometimes mine works perfectly for hours with no problems so I really dont know whats going on.

Hopefully Razer will have the balls to give some honest answers and kick their "technicians" into getting it fixed
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:08 AM
  • I can almost guarantee it's a power issue I bought a DC powered usb hub no problems at all.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Hmm,  I used the usb hub you get with rockband so im not sure if that was it or not.  I'll pick up a diffrent usb hub and test it out then.  Test it for a good while because the powered usb hub with rockband it still crapped out after a while.  It seemed to last longer but I can't really tell... its still crapping out left and right on me.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:25 AM
  • make sure it is one with an ac adaptor, that way it is drawing power from the wall socket not from the computer.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I know people that have their Megalodon plugged directly into their motherboards with no problems.

USB is a universal form of connection so a powered USB hub will only supply exactly the same voltage and current as the on board motherboard would. Otherwise it would damage anything plugged into it by overloading it. The only time a hub would help is if you are having USB bandwidth problems. But if like me nothing else is plugged into the USB ports then this is not the case as mine still fails.

Like I said in an earlier post you can see how much current the Megalodon uses when under load by simply looking in the device manager. The maximum allowed current is       500mA. The Megalodon only uses 420mA. On the back of the control box it says rating 5 v at 500mA which is what standard USB requires. This does not mean it uses this voltage all the while, or if ever.

sometimes i can use mine for hours without any problems. I suspect Jordan Van Dyk that either you have not tested for long enough or you just got lucky when you used a powered USB hub. It would not surpise me if yours still fails eventually. I am sure it is still a posibility that it could be a power issue but I really doubt it. Please read my previous post to see why..

Monday, August 31, 2009 10:02 AM
  • I've used it 3 days straight no problems comparatively before the hub it never lated more then 20 minutes.  I am aware it is rated at 500ma and 5V but perhaps simply stated it is wrong, like GPU and CPU certain uses may require more power. If we are all playing games while talking consistently this may generate more of a "need" of current and this is the problem. I could be completely wrong and perhaps there is something wrong with my motherboard but I find that hard to believe. 

I do however have multiple other usb devices hooked up and perhaps the computer was simply having problems supplying the connection to the megalodon consistent current/voltage and dipped slightly. USB 2.0 is 4.75 to 5.25 ( if i remember correctly) so certain motherboards hubs may not actually hit the 5v mark and the megalodon might need it?

like I said I could be wrong but from what i know DC items can still function albeit not to full compacity with some power as opposed to full.

I just know it worked for me, razer agreed that was probably the issue, and overall it makes the most sense after i had trial and errored heat and bandwidth.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:26 PM
  • It will be interesting to see how auraofvengence gets on after trying a different hub. If this is the problem then its poor on Razers behalf forcing people to buy extra hardware to make their hardware work reliably.

however like i said before i know some people that have a megalodon plugged straight into MB without any problems.

Its possible the Megalodon is suffering form several problems... overheating, poor voltage requirments, dodgy mike. Maybe we are having different problems but trying to link them together, which might not be the case.  Mine normally works for at least an hour before playing up which does make me think mine is suffering from overheating.. Maybe I have a different problem with my megalodon to you jordan van dyk
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:06 PM
  • that is quite possible, when you did mention overheating I did Pull mine apart and tried cooling it but it didn't seem to make any difference. I do find it odd that mine works only with powered usb hub yet others can use MB, I can't account for that I am running a razer tarantula and lachesis plus webcam and ipod off MB as well. 

My Mic is fine now that i've been running it off powered usb hub few tweaks and it is crystal  clear. I think you may be right thermos in that it is suffering from multiple problems I just know that has fixed mine.  It is worth a try for peoplewho are having problems to see if it helps

Monday, August 31, 2009 7:11 PM
  • it just annoys me that i might have to buy extra hardware.. i dont use anything else on USB so to have to buy an extra hub I will have more USB ports than I know what to do with. I think my MB already has 10.

mine still crashed once even with top off. it just took ages before it did.. several hours of COD 5.

but sometimes mine works fine when put together properly. so I am not sure about overheating issue now. Maybe it depends on the weather, or how the planets are alligned.. or maybe it depends if the day has a Y in it..............

come on aurao get back to us...........................
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:25 PM
  • My microphone works anywhere from 5-30 minutes and then goes. I have NEVER had a problem with the sound though. It's plugged straight into the MoBo as well as my Lycosa keyboard and Copperhead mouse. Those are the only USB plugged into my computer anywhere. Other than that, power for the PSU, DVI for my monitor, and Ethernet for internet. Here's my information so maybe we can see if it's specific to MoBos, processors, or whatever else... (don't know too much about computers, so let me know if that's even possible)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.0GHz
    ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE Motherboard
    Antec 750W PSU
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Razer never got back to me since the last communication.  It can't be mobo specific since I have a couple of computers I've tried it on and all of them have glitched out.  Yeah meow, your pretty much spot on.  When its plugged directly into the computer only my Mic dies on the same time frame.  It's strange that both the Mic and earpiece die while on the usb hub, although I have yet to test it on a brand new powered hub yet.  I still think the power issue is bogus and that it was just one last thing for whatever reason that razer wanted me to test out.  I hope they get back to me without having to send a few more emails, they asked me to reply to the changes they suggested and now I haven't received anything since Thursday/Friday.  Hopefully they get back to me sometime this week and say rather they have a fix, a fix is on the way, or it was a bad batch and we want you to send it back for a replacement.

And Tuesday is payday, I'll still pick up a new powered usb hub and test it out.  I still say to you guys that if you think a powered usb hub fixes yours test it for a few hours straight.  I thought with the current hub's im testing(one powered, one not) that it was fixed since it lasted a few hours before anything happend.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Razer asked for detailed system information and I sent everything over from multiple OS's and computers.  They shortly emailed me back stating they feel it is hardware related and wish to RMA for a new one.  Hopefully the new one works fine and it was just a bad batch.  How is everyone else's going?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Although I am not 100 % sure. If i boot my computer up with the megaldon plugged in, it seems to be a lot more reliable than if I plug in once my computer has booted up. I cant remember one crash since I have started doing this. Has anyone else tried this ??
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:52 PM
  • yes, i keep mine plugged in 24/7 (except ofcourse when i have to unplug it and replug it in for when the mic goes out). Anywho it COULD be a heat issue (its the xbox 360 Red Rings all over again lol) but i dout it. I still think it has to do with USB bandwidth issues, i hope we don't have to wait until USB 3.0 is out for a fix, that would SUCK. 
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Even when 3.0 comes out it won't help because the computer would default it to 2.0 since it is a 2.0 device. Also Sniper you can just right click the speaker in the right hand corner to go recording devices disable it then re-enable it instead of plugging back in.

I've tried many tests like that thermos makes no difference I checked multiple things in my bios on multiple systems no luck.

It is NOT a heat issue I took the whole thing apart and had a fan DIRECTLY blowing into it temperature readings from various sections were around 20-22 celcius. FAR from overheating. Within 45 minutes of it being apart and having fan on it it still died.

I can almost assure you the power issue is not bogus i highly suggest you tried a brand new powered usb hub ( one that plugs into a wall socket) before anything else. you can pick one up at futureshop for like... 30 bucks. I've used mine on the hub for well over a week straight multiple 6+ hour sessions it hasn't glitched once.

It cannot be bandwidth because logic will tell you that having it hooked up to a powered usb hub doesn't change how much bandwidth the megalodon transfer to the computer. 

My usb hub plugs into the SAME usb port i had my megalodon plugged in before which means all of the data that it used to transfer through that port is still transferred through that port, it only connects to the computer through that one cord nowhere else. This is why just from empircal evidence I can almost for certain say it is a power issue, because the only difference is in the power it can try to draw when hooked up to the usb hub the bandwidth and heat stay the same.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I understand what u are saying Jordan but surely an external powered hub can only supply the same voltage, current and power as the internal MB USB would supply otherwise anything more would damage anyting connected it. I find it hard to believe that top quality MBs are not providing the correct USB outputs.

I also dont see why we should have to spend another 30 bucks on more hardware just to get the megalodon to work properly.

have you read aura comments, Razer want to RMA his as they think its faulty not USB hub power related....
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I totally agree with you that it is stupid I had to pay an extra 30 dollars to get mine to work and I do expect Razer to compensate me for this. Razer also told me that they wanted RMA, because according to their records there was nothing wrong with it. However, when I replied to them saying it works fine now with the powered usb hub they said jolly good be on your way. 

My thoughts is that aura got the same treatment I did where as they think it is a faulty system but it is infact not. 

The MOBOs would in fact supply the right voltage 5v (give or take) and right amperes 500ma, however I think the megalodon actually wants to draw more, remember NAs power comes in at 110v and is converted to DC by essentially being chopped up at about a 75% efficiency rate. The computer does have automatic shut offs for drawing too much power through current or voltage. However the powered usb hub may be set higher, as a result the megalodon can "ask" for more and get away with it.  

The megalodon could have been checked with ammeters and voltmeters at low temperatures, where as temperature rises resistance goes up and therefore more power is needed.

I will contact razer ask to talk to someone other then low end tech support to see what they say. I'm fairly certain, but I still think it has to do with an oversight on power requirements on their part, sadly. 

But if auras new RMA works fine then good for him. 

If yours does not work thermos I suggest buying a powered usb hub trying it out if it doesnt work you can always return it within 30 days for full refund. If it does then you could haggle razer for sending you a cheque for how much you spent
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Jordan, may I ask what make and model of USB Hub you have bought, maybe I will buy the same one if they do them in UK.

If a metal object is heated, its resistance goes up. If an object made of semiconducting material is heated, its resistance goes down such as a chip or a transistor, diode etc. so I dont know wether your theory is correct or not.

Mine fails randomly. while playing the same type of games (normally COd 4 or COD 5) sometimes it can fail within a few minutes, sometimes it never fails so I really dont know what to do. I think mine has all the above discussed faults combined into one headet.

I would rather get a working headset than have to buy a USB HUB
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:44 AM
  • yeah,  I hope the new one works.  I sent them all the details they needed to approve the RMA, just waiting for the green light with the RMA number.  It's funny that one of the last things they asked to see was a Dxdiag readout from my system... which doesn't show a whole lot in regards to the problem anyway.  So i slammed them with readouts from multiple OS's from several computers and they finally went OK... i see you have multiple computers and it isn't working properly on any of them ... k rma time.  Windows 7 still works the worst in terms of the control unit.  On vista i had to turn the mic level up to on the control unit to get it to work in vista.  On win 7 everything had to be turned down.  I know its not officially out yet but its only next month.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:50 AM
  • when you get your new one aura please tell us if it works
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Just to mess with me, I think my Megalodon started working some... I played with it last night for three to four hours and the microhpone never cut out once... Now it's no longer just a 15 minute problem. O.o
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 4:34 PM
  • It is a Dynex USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Self/BUS Powered portable Hub 4 ports.

Model DX-USBCRHB
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:46 PM
  • just been talking to somebody on another forum and hes been told this from Razer

Just got an update from a Razer rep I always deal with last night. The engineers at Razer had a meeting and are aware of a unique issue with the Megalodon's and Vista/7 64-bit OS (the sound and mic cutting out randomly). They're not sure what is causing it but they've narrowed the problem down to just these flavors of OS (64-bit Vista/7). I will post when they have sent me word of a solution. I know it probably doesn't affect many on this forum, but hopefully it will be helpful for the few

Friday, September 11, 2009 3:41 PM
  • now that is interesting because that was my original thought ( hence this thread) that it was an OS issue. 

However did you try any hubs? like I said mine still works so im curious what they find out.
    • Proposed as answer by sniperwolf Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:11 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:02 PM
  • heh, i sent them a readout from 32bit vista and it would still glitch out eventually.  I do feel that its limited more to 64bit vista/7 than anything else though.  Vista 32 wouldn't glitch out the same way in 64bitvista/win7 but it would eventually hang up instead of just stop working.  The RMA went out the other day so hopefully I'll get it back in a week or so.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:19 PM
  • ive not bought a hub yet. I am waiting for a deffinitive answer from Razer. Mine has only failed once in the past few days of use while playing COd 4 until then its been fine playing mostly COD 5 but also COD 4 for many hours. I cant get the hub you have in the UK jordan no one seems to sell it.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Oh good, people having the same lame problems as me.

I seem to find these problems with all razer products :-/

My Megalodon has the mic cut of, and playback cut out issues.
    My £125 Lachesis mouse refuses to move on boot up even though left+right click work fine.
    My £120 Lycossa keyboard refuses to accept that the windows key or esc key are valid buttons..

Infact the only thing razer i have that works correctly is the mouse matt...which is abit of a sorry state.

Atleast you guys got an answer from Razer :@ my vendor (Ebuyer) told me to call Razer, i did, and got abbruptley ignored!

FYI:

I run custom build PC on a top end MB.
    Tried 32-bit, 64-bit, also tried Ubuntu, Mac OSX, XP 32,64, Vistia 32,64, 7 32,64.
    I just love how "by gamers, for gamers" is not entirely as they advertise..

I'm going to go cry in a corner :-/
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hey, I had this same issue with my new set recently, And before i even noticed this thread i had a hub nearby so i plugged it in there and had a different issue, the sound started going very garbled and full of static, then i remembered my logitech orbit was plugged into it also, so i moved that to my system, and low and behold, all issues
    with my headset mic cutting out went away.

So chuck me into the group that supports a power draw issue or some kind, as the mic cuts out randomly on my pc direct usb 2.0 ports, yet do not cut out on my Cyberpower powered usb 2.0 hub *Model # CP-H420P*.
    Note i have not yet taken the time to test for power issues on my usb 2.0 PCI card, however i got a feeling it will work fine also, since the power supplied is greater direct to support more then 1 device (that may be the secret here as the devices with multi ports, "hubs/ pci cards" must have a greater reserve set aside on power draw to function with more then one device and thus could be able to supply more power to the megalodons if indeed they are requesting more from the system.

I also had a issue a while back with another powered usb headset a while back with quiet sound, until i plugged it into a powered hub, so i don't think this is the first time a usb device has requested more power, possibly to act as a pre-amp for the headset since they pack larger drivers into them. Just my 0.2 cents, i hope my experience can help some of you.
    • Edited by EightyEye Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:20 AM fixed accidental quote
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:17 AM
  • just been talking to somebody on another forum and hes been told this from Razer

Just got an update from a Razer rep I always deal with last night. The engineers at Razer had a meeting and are aware of a unique issue with the Megalodon's and Vista/7 64-bit OS (the sound and mic cutting out randomly). They're not sure what is causing it but they've narrowed the problem down to just these flavors of OS (64-bit Vista/7). I will post when they have sent me word of a solution. I know it probably doesn't affect many on this forum, but hopefully it will be helpful for the few

Vista 32 here... mic cuts out after 5-15 minutes every time I use it. (except for ONCE... not sure what happened there, but it worked for quite a while.)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:27 AM
  • I'm going to format today and put on the OEM 7 64-bit RTM - which is as near to release as dammit.
    Then throw it at a wall - will let you know how things go.

Fail.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Some have already asked but you didnt specify, Jordan Van Dyke, What USB Hub did you buy, from where, and for how much. Please be specific on the item you baught. If it works for you it just might work for all of us. Thank you.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:13 PM
  • I just bought an advent extrenally powered 4 port USB hub. My sound failed within an hour while playing COD 5... In fact I think its actually made my megalodon worse. It fails more often with loss of sound than without using a hub. So i guess its not to do with a HUB in my case.. I am guessing it must now be down to a Windows vista 64 problem in my case... I will probably take my hub back to shop to get my money back.. Oh well... Razer are rubbish.....

just found this on the Razer Website

Razer and Microsoft are aware of intermittent issues that may occur with the Razer Megalodon and users of certain Vista 64 bit systems. The most common issue will be your audio or your microphone cutting out. We are working hard to find an answer to this intermittent problem and hope to have a solution in the very near future. We know this issue is very frustrating for you and we are working hard to find the solution. We ask kindly for your patience as we try to remedy this issue for any of the affected users. Megalodon users with other types of updated operating systems are not affected by this issue. If you are using a Megalodon and are having similar issues please be sure your operating system has all the available updates installed. Vista users want to make sure that Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been installed on their computers. If you are in need of further assistance with your Megalodon please contact us at the links below and we will be happy to assist you
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Actually sniper I already did specify the hub I am using a....

"It is a Dynex USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Self/BUS Powered portable Hub 4 ports.

Model DX-USBCRHB"
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:25 AM
  • oh, im sorry, i hadn't seen you wrote that previously, my mistake.I, as well as many others im sure, Thank you for the info and time you invested in testing the product for yours and all our benefits.
    BTW, for all those like myself getting this exact model of hub you can find them for cheap at ebay. Im getting one for $15 (shipping included) :D.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Might help other users with problems for Win7 Razer products.

They've recently announced estimated release dates for Win7 drivers.
    Razer Products Product Type Estimated software Web Release Date
    Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse Monday, 17 August, 2009
    Razer Krait Gaming Mouse Friday, 28 August, 2009
    Razer Salmosa Gaming Mouse Tuesday, 1 September, 2009
    Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard Friday, 4 September, 2009
    Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard Tuesday, 15 September, 2009
    Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard Friday, 22 September, 2009
    Razer – Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse Wednesday, 30 September, 2009
    Razer – Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Wednesday, 30 September, 2009
    Razer Mamba Gaming Mouse Thursday, 1st Oct 2009
    Razer Orochi Gaming Mouse Thursday, 1st Oct 2009
    Razer Naga Gaming Mouse Thursday, 1st Oct 2009
    Razer Aurantia Gaming Keyboard Friday, 2 October, 2009
    Razer Lachesis Gaming Mouse Tuesday, 13 October, 2009
    Razer Pro|Type Gaming Keyboard Tuesday, 20 October, 2009
    Razer DiamondBack & Razer Diamondback 3G Gaming Mouse Monday, 26 October, 2009
    Razer Copperhead Gaming Mouse Friday, 30 October, 2009
    Razer Boomslang Collector Edition (BSCE) Gaming Mouse Wednesday, 4 November, 2009
    Razer Pro|Click v1.6 Gaming Mouse Tuesday, 10 November, 2009
    Razer Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card Tuesday, 17 November, 2009
    Razer – Belkin n52:te Gaming Pad Pending confirmation
    Razer Boomslang Collector Edition (BSCE) Gaming Mouse Wednesday, 4 November, 2009
    http://www.razersupport.com/windows7/razer-windows-7/

Take note that no headsets are listed their?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:12 AM
  • I purchased a 7 port Belkin USB hub (F5U237v1) and I thought it was working better at first... but then the problem started again.

However, I just noticed something else.  If the Megalodon is connected to the hub, the computer will not boot.  It just sits at the bios boot screen.  If it is connected to the mobo, the computer will boot fine.  Is this a related issue or something entirely separate?
    C.J.S.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Strange.. I have also changed to a Belkin 7 port Usb hub. Haven't had a single problem with the sound since then(tested it for 3 days now). My computer also boots as normal. That said.. I must say I find this "sound cutting" problem a bit strange. Hope there will be a fix very soon. I don't think it's a heat problem, it's more likely to be a compatibility problem for some systems. What is also strange is that it suddenly seems to work flawlessly on my system since changing to the Usb-hub..
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Well, my headset should be in Razer's hands by now.  UPS wanted something ridiculous to send a 4lbs. package to their address so it shipped ground 1 week.  I'm still uncertain of the compatibility issues with different systems, I have two systems with me that I was able to test the headset on.  Both systems have win 7 RC1, Vista 32bit or 64bit on them and I checked for any type of compatibility issues with individual system components and that everything was functioning properly.

I hope that the unit they return works without any hitches and I'll let you guys know when it gets here.  I also want to voice that I feel while the cable is a very nice quality that it feels to soft as if they should put a harder rubber insulation under the braid to help protect the wires.  I wondered about the cable length on the usb side, maybe if they take a couple inches off the length as well, although the current length of the cord shouldn't have an affect on the product.

Also, be careful to those of you that downloaded any drivers off of razer on or around the 19th.  Razer had a security issue where a Trojan would download along with the installer.  I'm assuming that its all under control now but make sure your systems are safe if you happened to download drivers for your devices off of razer last week.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Got my piece of ____ megalodon today. Guys hear echo/playback in vent so this sucks, though the audio system in this headset is awesome. Also I am having problem with my mic cutting out while playing. Anyone know how to fix these issues?
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say I've been having the same problems, random mic drops or complete headset crash. As previously stated by others i have just been changing the Default Sound Device to speakers and back to Megalodon to fix (if Ventrilo is running I need to exit that and game as well).

I got myself a Powered USB hub a couple days ago and so far this has fixed the issue for me. And i have been running it fairly hard with Ventrillo and gaming. But I will comment back here if it does fail as i am all too aware of how intermittent and random this problem has been for myself, having sometimes a day or 2 with no issue and other times having to fix every 10 mins.

Running Windows 7 64bit
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Well, I tried something weird the other day (Thursday).  I plugged the megalodon into every port on my computer (which I had at one point connected it) and on my new Belkin 7-port hub.  While connected to each one, I uninstalled and deleted the driver files.  (When connected to one of these ports it was showing up in Audio Devices as 7 - Razer Megalodon or 4 - Razer Megalodon, etc., depending on which port it was connected).  After uninstalling it while connected to all of the ports, I connected it back to my hub. 

Oddly enough, I haven't had any problems with it... I was playing Prototype, the game that always killed it after about 20 minutes, yesterday for about 3 or 4 hours and it didn't stop once.  I'm going to reformat this machine today however.  Anyway, I doubt that has anything to do with it, but I just though I'd mention it.  I told the support people over at Razer as well. 
    C.J.S.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Hey guys I found a solution to mic cutting off and playback sounds. I bought a König 4slot USB-hub and problems are gone. I suggest you should try a USB-hub too.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Yeah, also think that is the solution( for now). As my previous post says, it works without any problems with my 7 port usb hub. Used it 7 days now, and not a single problem with the sound. Hopefully Razer will come with a fix soon, so that we can use the headset with onboard usb ports also.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:00 PM
  • already did. it actually made mine worse. and it crashed more often with either loss of sound or mic cutting out more frequently. This only appears to be a fix for some people others it makes no difference. And some people get theres to work with no hub.....

has anyone seen the new hidden options for the megalodon... look on their web site there are 2 new options that we are not told about in the manual..

1) you can chnage the volume level meter into a graphic equaliser that increases or decreses depending on the sounds being played

2) you can get the control panel to display exactly what speakers are being utilised and when.

Funny thing is since I have enabled these options mine has not crashed...

what I dont understand it why have Razer not bothered to tell us about these two features (which are actually quite useful) in the manual

http://cult.razerzone.com/2009/09/24/got-a-razer-megalodon-watch-this-video/

Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:03 PM
  • No still crashes...............
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hey neat!  Thanks for the heads up.  Still no problems with my rma'd megalodons.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Yeah, thanks a lot for that video, that's pretty cool.

I still haven't had any problems with mine, since I connected it to the hub and uninstalled/re-installed.
    C.J.S.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:39 AM
  • So,  I got the RMA back from razer around noon today.  I plugged it in and listened to music for a little while with vent on in the background and as people came online I started chatting with them.  It worked fine like that while i was browsing the web and so forth.  No more than five minutes in a game of TF2 the mic stops working.....   I'll go through the routine again of uninstalling and changing audio configurations again in an attempt to see if there is anything different with this headset.

Ding Ding* round two FIGHT........
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:21 PM
  • sent razer another e mail asking if they were any closer to fixing the vista 64 compatibility issues and got this reply

Hello,

Our engineers are studying the issue intensely and we should have a fix available very soon. However we are unable to commit any specific ETA for it. Thank you.

I even stated I was going to be attending a high profile LAN competition being sponsered by computer manufacturers etc but it did not seem to bother them that they might get loads of bad press.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Hey guys,

I just thought I'd post again, after getting myself a generic powered USB hub nearly a month ago now I have had none of the issues that I was before. Sound/mic dropping out randomly(sometimes not for a whole night, other times every 10 min). It was sooo frustrating as I am sure u are aware. So much so that I spent $50 on the USB hub not even sure it was going to fix the problem... Thankfully for me it has.

Im aware ppl have tried this and it did not work for them, but if you haven't tried this I highly suggest you do. Again i haven't had one problem since running through a powered USB hub, I play an average of 40 hours a fortnight(all the same games i was playing when it was dropping out), and have Vent running atleast half of that time... So yeah, give it a shot if you haven't.
    • Proposed as answer by Verbitian Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:24 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hey guys,

I just thought I'd post again, after getting myself a generic powered USB hub nearly a month ago now I have had none of the issues that I was before. Sound/mic dropping out randomly(sometimes not for a whole night, other times every 10 min). It was sooo frustrating as I am sure u are aware. So much so that I spent $50 on the USB hub not even sure it was going to fix the problem... Thankfully for me it has.

Im aware ppl have tried this and it did not work for them, but if you haven't tried this I highly suggest you do. Again i haven't had one problem since running through a powered USB hub, I play an average of 40 hours a fortnight(all the same games i was playing when it was dropping out), and have Vent running atleast half of that time... So yeah, give it a shot if you haven't.

I can second that using a powered USB hub does help.  I've had it on a hub for about three weeks now (I think) and I've only had it stop working once.  So it definitely makes a difference.  Themoschops' post makes me hope that Razer releases a new firmware or something for the Megalodon though.  Guess all we can do is hope.  But do try a powered hub if you are having trouble.  I bought a Belkin 7-port powered hub and I have three devices connected to it.
    C.J.S.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Has anyone tried a powered HUB and like me found it makes no difference or even makes it worse ????
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I tried this just now. Went to Bestbuy and picked up the Belkin USB 2.0 Hub. Still no dice. It's still producing massive static out of the microphone and it's starting to really ____ me off. I don't know who to be angry with. Razer for their lack of support or Windows for f**king things up.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:47 PM
  • It isn't either of their faults congeeman it's yours for not configuring the microphone properly. push the mic level and mic sensitivity buttons, you will be able to hear the microphone through the headphones adjust until you cannot.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Yeah, while the sensitivity might work right out of the box in vista if your using windows 7 however, you will most likely have to manually adjust the volume/sensitivity for the microphone.  I did on my computer but my other system seemed to work fine by default.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:00 AM
  • i had to turn the mic down in windows on 7, other then that my mic and sound drops out every so often as well, alot of the time i can just change the sound device in game and it comes back, but some games you cant do that and you have to restart

has anyone tried an adapter to plug it in to 2 plugs, like those old harddrive caddys that draw power from 2 usb slots? couldent you just put a resister in there to make sure it doesnt over draw?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Believe me. I have played with the settings for countless hours, trying many different sensitivities, and microphone levels through the razer controls AND the windows controls. I have tried this on Windows 7 RTM 7600, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows Vista 64 bit and different computers. It's the same everywhere. (All these systems were fully updated with the drivers and service packs). Even tried reformatting with fresh installs and still the same thing.

I have contacted Razer and they tell me they are aware of this problem, as it's a really common problem and that they are working with Microsoft to find a fix for it. The customer support was nice though, they told me I could send it back in to them (even though I did not purchase it through the Online Store) and that they would pay for the shipping and give me a voucher for what I paid for for this headset.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:19 AM
  • serious? i baught mine off ebay, it was in the box sealed and everything so i thought i was screwed cos it wasnt a registered dealer, recon they would replace mine?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Hi guys I have come across something that may help people with vista 64 and a realtek onboard sound. go into sound settings. go to recording . right mouse in window and select show diabled devices. look for an icon called  stereo mix and try enabling this. since I have enabled this I have not had a single crash for the past few days. Its probably just a coincidence but anythings worth a try... good luck please tell me if it worked... I beleive enabling this stopped COD 4 crashing from within the game.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:38 PM
  • na, nothing comes of it.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Good news guys, they added a FW Update for the megalodon for both 32 and 64 bit users for XP, Vista, and Win7.

http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=d...d=322&nav=0

Glad they pulled through.

i have installed update. headset works with win amp i have not tested with games yet I will post update once i have thorughly tested...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Haha, themoschops beat me to it.

Installation of the new FW was very simple.  I'll test it without my powered hub tonight.  It worked fine last night for a couple of hours, but it was still on the hub, and it's been working fine since I put it on the hub anyway.

Good luck, hope it works for everyone :)

Oh, BTW, what's up with the 2.7 version?  Just skip a few, or only internal?
    C.J.S.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Still crashes.............................
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I emailed Razer a few days ago about returning the product entirely.  Haven't heard from them at all yet and they release this firmware literally a day and a half after my email.  I'm testing the unit now with the firmware.  I'll write back once I've gone nuts with it let you know if it holds out.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:24 PM
  • well... it doesn't crash anymore but man....  The microphone sounds like I'm calling from an old comm radio calling for air support.  Everyone says its horrible and there isn't anything i can do to fix it.  The Mic level and sensitivity are still blown out of proportion initially and you have to turn at least the Mic level all the way down to not get any feedback.  It's still very windy and when i try unplugging it and plugging it back in it gets really bad sometimes.  Headset audio is still spot on, shame the Mic doesn't work.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Yea... the mic is still pure utter ____. I'm going to fill out that RMA form. All this hassle with a Surround Sound Headset has turned me away from USB forever. 3.5mm all the way. I hope they'll give me that stupid gift voucher they promised and I'll get the Carcharias instead and something else with the extra money~
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Well.. I have installed the firmware, but I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work. My problem was always "just" the sound cutting problem, and it is still there after this update. Luckily for me, the headset works perfect when using a usb-hub. I'm disappointed over that Razer can't get their act together and solve this problem for real. Maybe they have tried, but it is not good enough. I mean, when you buy a 190 euro headset, one must excpect it to work without the sound cutting out, and also without having to use a powered usb-hub.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:23 PM
  • I upgraded my firmware and my sound just cut out. Plus the microphone is terrible like everyone else.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:26 AM
  • The only thing that this headset has going for it is:
    1) It looks cool.
    2) It's comfortable
    3) The sound it produces in 2.0 is great.

Here are the list of things that are bad:
    1) The microphone is very poor quality and there is constant static. It's so loud your voice can barely be heard (I have tested this on multiple systems, it's not software issue on my end)
    2) Due to bad firmware drivers initially the sound and/or mic would always cut out while gaming on multiple systems
    3) Even after the firmware update, the microphone static is still very loud and the cutting out issues have not been fixed. (This has been tested on multiple systems as well)
    4) The 7.1 just sounds like echoing and is actually pretty terrible.
    5) Type in Megalodon Compaitibility in google and this page is the first link to list out the epic fail of this headset.
    6) Razer is probably one of the slowest to respond to your inquiries.
    7) Razer's website probably has false testimonials since they filter out all the negative ones and only list the good ones. (I've tried multiple times to rate the product not good and give a polite sincere review)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:55 PM
  • It does look good, and it is comfortable, but I'd have to disagree with a couple of those. When my microphone works it sounds great. I have another computer behind me so I can hear what I'm saying and it is crystal clear, for me. But then again, it only works for about five minutes then crashes completely. And the 7.1 sounds pretty good in my opinion. I can usually tell whether or not people are coming up on me from whatever direction they are. The rest of those sound about right though... haha.

I recently asked Razer whether or not they would help fix this problem for us that have already bought them or if they would leave us hanging with screwed headsets and they replied... "Rest assured we will provide support for your Megalodon even after the warranty time has passed. Our engineers are currently testing a fix and if that is approved, it will be released on www.razersupport.com."

As long as they replace it or fix it, I have no problems at all, this is still one BA headset.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 5:56 PM
  • My headset sounded amazing before the firmware.  Yes, the microphone was touchy and would echo unless it was turned down low enough so that it wouldn't produce such feedback.  After the firmware update its been an entirely different story.  Anytime the microphone works its rather atrocious now.  It sounds ratty and has lots of static all the time, tweaking it does not work like before and makes hardly any difference. Plugging and unplugging it at times can actually make that sound even worse, however the 2.0 audio has still been amazing.

Razer was pretty good at returning my emails the first time I inquired about the headset and would respond back almost daily up to the RMA.  I spent a good while testing the new unit they sent me and nothing would fix the Mic cutting out issue.  I sent them my second inquiry about returning the unit for a refund about 2 days before the firmware came out and the email they sent back 3 days later had one line in it - " Hello, Try installing the latest firmware from the link below: ".  Thats understandable but I expected a bit more than that back from them since i sent at least a paragraph of information back to them saying that I'm tired of chasing these issues around and at this point I'd just like to return the unit and be done with the problem.  Emails take at least 3-4 days to get back to me now and I'm waiting on the second email from them today or tomorrow.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Get this.... They wanna give me "web credits" for the megalodon after I already purchased most of their stuff in that order.  Not to thrilled and I suggest anyone still looking at purchasing stuff from razer to order from somewhere else like Newegg or any other online retailers or else you might get stiffed with the same "Web Credits".  I do not intend on settling for web credits.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Yea, I'm pretty peeved....I now have a $149.99 pair of headphones that looks cool and only works with a USB port. I wish I had picked up the Carcharias instead :(
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:44 PM
  • well, at the very least you can get web credits from them and buy the carcharias or something else from their store.  I'm not happy with web credits and I'm going to press them to put the money back into my bank account.  It's the least they can do after I purchased most of their stuff.  I have to say the mamba is very nice and I can't complain about any of their other products except for the sphex mouse pad, which didn't seem adhesive enough on most surfaces I tried.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:59 AM
  • ok so the headphones work perfect on win7, the mic gave me some trouble in Ventrilo because of the noise but I was able to fix it. You need to set the line volume in ventrilo to minimum. The soundcard on the megalodons is amplifing the mic level already so, that is why you get the noise. Sensitivity has to go low too. Try recording yourself untill u get it right.

Good Luck!
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:27 AM
  • I have been having all the same issues...I tried everything from uninstalling all audio devices to changing all the settings to clean installs of vista 32/64 bit and windows 7 32/64 bit with no improvement.... But one thing has worked pretty well, I plugged the headphones into my monitor. The mic is a little off (echoes), But as long as I don't have any programs that update, including steam updates, while gaming it seems to work good.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:26 PM
  • your monitor has a usb port?
    i had no success with the FW update, if anything its gotten worse, it got good for awhile then i thought i'll do the update anyway and its turned to sh!t. again...
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:19 AM
  • New to this forum (was active in an other forum discussing this problem. But this one is far more active!), old to this problem. Has some intensive contact with Razer over the last month (Glen, Director Customer Service).  I still have the same issues as everyone else. Headset is cutting of. Before FW Mic was also cutting off. That is after the FW no longer an issue.

What is an issue (after firmware????) is that my friends are complaining about the mic within Teamspeak (lot of Static after I said something) Has this to do with sensitivity levels or with bad drivers? Anyone any solution for this?

I did not try the external powered usb hub. If this will bring a solution I will buy this as an temp solution. However I'm curious by whom did this work?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:28 PM
  • So, I started playing around with the unit again after I had contacted razer for a refund/full return.  I would like to keep the unit so I started playing around with everything again in hopes that I could get it to work.  The Mic doesn't cut out anymore since the firmware and I have found a solution for the Mic static.  If you are one of the people that the firmware fixed the Mic cutout but the quality of the Mic seems really bad try this:  Turn the microphone volume in windows down to like 1-5 and set the Mic level on the megalodon to 50% or lower and just for extra info I have the Mic sensitivity set rather low as well just to make sure.  Also, programs like ventrilo or teamspeak I had to turn the line volume down to low (almost nothing on the slider bar) as well for ventrilo to sound normal.  I believe that the Mic is being amplified a lot higher than it is intended by accident in the development process, or its possible the firmware is causing the issue, or yet some other undetermined problem that wasn't caught in windows.  I still wouldn't rule out that the Mic itself is the cause however it was manufactured, but if you turn everything down to almost zero and test it, you should hear yourself rather clearly with no static or distortion and it should sound good even if you sound extremely low.

This still isn't a clear fix because different games and applications still needed to be individually tweaked even with windows Mic volume set to almost nothing alongside the megalodon being tuned down below 50% as well.

I'm still testing things for Razer since they asked if I was willing to keep the unit still granted that it could be fixed.  It is still a very nice headset minus the Mic issues and I'm not sure if the manager they were going to forward my request to would have given cash back over the web credits that were offered.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:38 PM
  • This worked for me! Thanks! Good mic quality now!

After powered usb-hub I have no problems with the headset falling out....

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Recently, I saw that there was a firmware update that would fix the mic and sound cutting problem. Apparently, I gave it a try and it made my headset even worse.
    Before I updated the firmware, my mic was crystal clear with no static (regardless of any setting change). The mic cutting problem would occur a few times each day, but that didn't annoy me.
    After I updated the firmware, my mic had static in the background.
    I just can't believe a firmware update had made my headset worse than before. I wonder if it's possible to revert my firmware to the one that it originally shipped with.

I have sent a support ticket telling them this problem and hopefully I could get a useful response soon.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:32 AM
  • Recently, I saw that there was a firmware update that would fix the mic and sound cutting problem. Apparently, I gave it a try and it made my headset even worse.
    Before I updated the firmware, my mic was crystal clear with no static (regardless of any setting change). The mic cutting problem would occur a few times each day, but that didn't annoy me.
    After I updated the firmware, my mic had static in the background.
    I just can't believe a firmware update had made my headset worse than before. I wonder if it's possible to revert my firmware to the one that it originally shipped with.

I have sent a support ticket telling them this problem and hopefully I could get a useful response soon.

I have the same problem identically, now I am waiting on know from razor support

(My powered usb-hub on TFT not helped with Firmeware 2.7)
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Hi everyone i have th Megalodon just for few days and they are getting under muy skin!!!Before i update the the FW thre are sound and mic cuts every 40 50 mins but the mic works grat now there is no sound cut but the mic suck,and this time razer haven t excuse it is their problem with the FW and non windows fault with the USB drivers!!!

So i have a question send the Megaladon (Megasuckers) back and bay the Logitech G35 or wait for a new update?What you will do if you have a chance to give back you cash and the oprotunity to bay other cheeper handset but witch is seams to be better han this ____?

I my opinion i should get it back.

Sry for the bad english!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:23 PM
  • im hanging out for the next update, i dont use the mic all that much but it seems to crash less now with the new FW, also i found that the g35's are so uncomfy, i cant game in them for more then half an hour befor i have to take them off.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:08 AM
  • HI again finally i decide to keep the Razer Megalodon because viewing some youtube videos about the G35 they have issues too (not a protection bag not cool design,non cofotubul ) and if i get replace it for my meglodons and have problems again i ll be very bery angry so i hope razer fix the mic problems IF THEY EVER REALISE A NEW FW!!!And i notice when i am configuring the mic with a internal control the sound is very nice the problem is when it comes into the PC it is cracket by windows is not bad quality mic it is only SW problem..

Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:12 PM
  • there in lies the problem with plug and play devices, we will see a new firmware, i havent even tested my mic since the fw, i dont usualy use it.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I have documented my findings here... http://www.daxfrost.com/?p=103
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:25 AM
  • so.... its been 2 months since I've had any contact with Razer regarding the headset and the sound samples they requested.  I doubt there have been any miraculous changes with anybody Else's  headset but I hope they get on with a solution at some point still.  Shame the mic is really the only thing holding it back, but I use the mic for a lot of things as well as gaming.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I only had the microphone problem with mine. Where it would stop working after 5 or so minutes. Fortunately, Razer came out with a firmware update and fixed my problem perfectly. I now use my mic for hours on end without a single glitch. I was worried at first but it seems like Razer actually did something about it. Good luck with your problem.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Thanks.  Yeah, the mic cut out issue was fixed with the firmware update.  My only issue is that I don't feel like torturing my friends on Ventrilo or any other voip program.  If anyone out there is still having issue with mic static/tornado issues with the megaloturd, best you can do is turn windows mic volume down to like 1-5, turn the sensitivity and volume down on the megaloturd, and drop your voip programs like ventrilo down pretty low too.  All of that on extremely low settings across the board and you'll still hear a pretty crazy hiss.  It's manageable at best, but insanely stupid for a product that costs 150 bucks.  Xp and Vista users are pretty much ok, its just windows 7 and/or 64bit OS's in general that aren't working properly.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:36 PM
  • God I wish I had seen this site  before buying it... most comfy headset ever... the mic is not too bad on my part, its not as good as the Pirrhana (terrible spelling) but I was willing to compromise for better sound (lol compromising quality for a headset 3 times the price of my former one is ironic)

It played fine for 3-4 hours on Mass effect and then i started hearing static... I reconnected it, started playing again, no problem... I have diner, return to my PC, the sound is gone, I cannot hear ventrilo or in-game sound... neither browser sound (ie. youtube).

I reconnect it again... sound returns but since the first cut-off... it has been happening every 15 minutes tops... either static (which gaming-wise sucks) or full cut-off... mic continues to work despite no sound since people respond when I talk on vent... I just cannot hear them...

I updated to 2.7... which from what I see here was a mistake... I will try your suggestions for TFT USB or buy a mid range USB Hub... I'm unhappy but IF the usb hub fixes it for me, I won't push my luck and accept that I now have a new USB hub dedicated to my headset.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Which Operating system are you using and is it 32bit or 64bit?  Basically windows 7 is the only OS that has issues with the headset minus a few vista 64bit users and that's typically just the microphone.  You shouldn't be having any headset audio cutting out with the 2.7 firmware update.  I would suggest flashing the firmware again and make sure you download the one specific to your OS (32 bit or 64bit).  I initially had audio cutting issues before the firmware on my first unit and again on the RMA unit they sent me.  The firmware fixes any audio drops that I've had in windows 7 but the engineers are still working and talking to Microsoft about the issues with windows 7.  I sent them an email recently ( 2 months after my last contact with them) and they said they wish they could release a fix tomorrow but they can't and that the problem is still being worked on and that it will be resolved eventually.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I have windows vista 64 bit. I have no mic issues, only sound cut-off after x minutes, or static, usually before cut-off.
    I am using a powered Usb HUB (D-link) and it just cut again...

I'll try following your advice and re-flash 2.7.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Nope... same as before... current status is:

Connected on powered USB hub.
    Set speakers to 5.1
    Reflashed firmware.
    Disabled onboard and sound blaster sound cards
    Sole usb device connected on hub

Result -> Sound will work fine for 15-30 minutes and when the sound load in the game is high or lots of action is on screen with a lot of sounds, it will stop completely.

Attempt 2

Connected on powered USB hub.
    Set speakers to 2.1
    Reflashed firmware.
    Disabled onboard and sound blaster sound cards
    Sole usb device connected on hub

Result -> Sound will work fine for 30 minutes and when the sound load in the game is high or lots of action is on screen with a lot of sounds, it will stop completely.

Last thing I could try is... disable Bass... Still have not tried that.

Mic always works fine throughout everything.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:57 PM
  • your following the procedure listed here instead of just connecting it and flashing with the exe in either 2.0 or 7.1 right?

http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=322&nav=0,37

I followed the procedure when connecting the device, hold down the maelstrom button while connecting it and you'll see the 2.0 and 7.1 lights flicker back and forth really fast and then it should stay on 2.0

Once paired in this mode run the executable in administrator mode and you should be all set.  If you've already done this exactly as the guide says try connecting it directly to your computer without any other usb devices connected besides your mouse and keyboard if they are usb.  I'm interested to see if you still have issues with sound cutting out after trying everything possible.  I guess it would explain why Razer are really freaking out and can't get an update out that completely solves all the problems that exist.

Some people still have issues with audio cutting out but mainly its just our mics.  The mics don't cut out anymore but they have crazy bad static on the line regardless of how low you configure volume levels.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Yes I did everything, except last time I did not Unplug and replug after all the other steps.

Would it really matter that much?

I'll retry with unplug-replug
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:23 PM
  • PROBLEM IS FIXED

SUNDAY FEBRUAR 07, 2010

scroll down on this site_

http://www.daxfrost.com/?p=103

NOTE_ WAIT FOR OFFICIAL RELEASE!
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 11:07 AM
  • the beta firmware works,  I had a problem installing the drivers out of that package though.  I just used the 2.7 drivers then ran the beta firmware exe and bam! It chased the tornado away from my mic.  I'm not sure if the noticeable feedback that can still exist in the line is because of the 2.7 drivers or the unit itself still, but the microphone is usable once again!  Tweaking is still necessary for windows volume and the mic volume on the megalodon itself but it sounds good enough to me that no one should have complaints against my mic this time.  I'll hit up vent and see what people have to say.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Yeah, I used the beta firmware also, it did make the mic better, but I still have to have the windows volume and mic volume down.  The "tornado" sound effect still happens if I turn the windows (recording) volume louder or the mic sensitivity higher than like 40%.

But I didn't have problems installing the firmware update, not sure why some people are having to use files from the official 2.7 update.  I hope Razer releases a new firmware with this fix soon though.

C.J.S.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Oh god... I've been monitoring this thread ever since I bought the Megalodon when it was released and I'm so glad to mention that...

Release Log:
    • Fixes audio break issue on 64-bit systems.
    • Fixes mic noise issue.

Going to try it now, here's to hoping it finally puts an end to our yearlong "hardship".
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Well, the controls actually work now, it's not perfect but the microphone is sooo much better, it's actually usable now.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:07 AM
  • I keep on trying to install it, and i know its the right one, cause its dois koh's link and i've redownloaded it a couple of times. I try to follow the directions - but It never comes up with a menu to install drivers. I'm running windows 7 - and it actually worked when I was running vista (also 64 bit). What am i doing wrong?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I keep on trying to install it, and i know its the right one, cause its dois koh's link and i've redownloaded it a couple of times. I try to follow the directions - but It never comes up with a menu to install drivers. I'm running windows 7 - and it actually worked when I was running vista (also 64 bit). What am i doing wrong?

I actually had that problem as well.  It took a few times of me ending the task and launching the updater again.  I submitted a comment on the download at Razer's site... but it didn't get posted. :\

Maybe try restarting your pc and relaunching it?

C.J.S.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi guys just doo this.

Unplug your lan cabel or off the WiFi .. and Megalodon press and hold the channel button plug the headset whille the button is still pressed probaly windows will not prompt anything.So open the device manager and search for Razer Megalodon Flash driver and uninstall it! http://img697.imageshack.us/i/59476302.jpg/ select the box if it apairs... and ones the flash driver is uninstalled unplug your headset,and ones again hold on the channel button plug in the megalodon while the button is still pressed nad this time windows will try to find a driver but with no results and then go to device manager again now you can see a unknown device there is the Megalodon.. right click it select update drivers and browse the Megalodon new FW (1.12) on your PC once it is installed right click the FW updater and open it with a admin privileges click update wait for it finnish and unplug and plug your Megalodon s again and enjoy the Fix...
    Note:Once you uninstall the flash driver manually you can fallow my guide or just the official one with is basiclly the same to be sure you re doing everything OK.
    Finnaly say this problem is normal because windows search first in his data base a software and install it thinking it is the best out there so dont forget to set off your internet connection and be sure you doing everything like i explain and there ll be no problems.
    Sorry for my bad English
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Hi

I had this problem with 2.12 but resolved it by:

OPen device manager

locate razer flash

open the driver and select update

browse to where uo downloaded the update files and let it find the new drivers

once installed run the razer updater as admin

Workeed a treat for me

Just need to make sure it doesnt crash in AA3  with TS2 now !

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Hi all, 

Glad to hear most of you solved this problem by buying a powered usb hub.

Unfortunately for me, on

- Win7 64bit

- Firmware updated to 2.12

- Powered USB HUB (a generic brand)

the Megalodon still is not working. 

It still cuts out after 30 minutes of counter-strike. The powered usb hub made the problem sightly worse actually. Now there's a loud cracking sound after 10 minutes. And it still crashes after 30minutes. 

I will try 'Christopher Soriano ' suggested solution:
    "I plugged the megalodon into every port on my computer and on my new Belkin 7-port hub.  While connected to each one, I uninstalled and deleted the driver files.  After uninstalling, I connected it back to my hub.  Oddly enough, I haven't had any problems with it."

and let you know.

Paul

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Hi all, 

Glad to hear most of you solved this problem by buying a powered usb hub.

Unfortunately for me, on

- Win7 64bit

- Firmware updated to 2.12

- Powered USB HUB (a generic brand)

the Megalodon still is not working. 

It still cuts out after 30 minutes of counter-strike. The powered usb hub made the problem sightly worse actually. Now there's a loud cracking sound after 10 minutes. And it still crashes after 30minutes. 

I will try 'Christopher Soriano ' suggested solution:
    "I plugged the megalodon into every port on my computer and on my new Belkin 7-port hub.  While connected to each one, I uninstalled and deleted the driver files.  After uninstalling, I connected it back to my hub.  Oddly enough, I haven't had any problems with it."

and let you know.

Paul

Agreed, after reading this 2 years later the problem still has not been fixed by razer, unless i got an old model or something.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:12 PM