none
Changing finish date changes start date, not the duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I change the finish date of a task in Project to be later than originally scheduled, but when I do this the start date of the task moves later out and the duration amount remains the same. Is there a way to make it so that when I change the finish date the start date doesn't move, but instead the duration is corrected to be longer? I don't want to set a "Must Start On" restriction because this task is a dependency on another task, which may change it's finish time, thus eventually changing this task's start time. 

In other words, I want to make it so that duration is altered based on the start/end dates and not so that start/end dates are set based on the duration.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Although I agree that one should not touch neither Start nor Finish values, I like to inform yo hpow you CAN do what you want.

First "confirm" the start date, that is, enter the start date into the Start column cell. nothing changes but whzen afterwards you change Finish, it's duration that will change as you request.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:45 PM

All replies

• isb17,

Okay, if you want the duration to increase then change the duration, not the finish date. Be advised though, if resources are assigned Project will ask if you need to make adjustments to the work or resource assignments.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Do not enter dates. If you have a finish date in mind, then adjust duration until the finish date is what you want it to be.

Be clear about which is the input and which is the output. Duration is input, dates are output.

Be aware that when you input the finish date, you are applying a FNET date constraint to the task. To see this: task information, advanced.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:43 PM
  • Ditto what John and Trevor suggest.

There isn't a user-changeable setting for how Project interprets your date entries here.  Manually entering a finish date on an auto-scheduled task always sets a FNET constraint - (extremely) poor practice in my world.

Clicking and dragging the end of the Gantt bar changes the duration and allows you to instantly see the impact on the finish date.  That might get you as close as possible to what you want.  (Depending on the zoom setting of the Gantt chart, you might get exactly what you were aiming for, or you might have to add or subtract a few days from the duration to zero-in at the end.)

Good luck, tom

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

Although I agree that one should not touch neither Start nor Finish values, I like to inform yo hpow you CAN do what you want.

First "confirm" the start date, that is, enter the start date into the Start column cell. nothing changes but whzen afterwards you change Finish, it's duration that will change as you request.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Dear isb 17

In addition to what mentioned earlier and prior to respond to your question, there are three factors that regulates the relation in ms project program which are Work (Scope of your work), Units (Resources allocated to this work) and finally the Duration of the work (Time or Duration). For auto scheduled tasks and for the projects programmed that their tasks are scheduled from the project start date, you need to identify the project start date and duration then the finish date will be calculated automatically.

If you have a specified finished date then you may change the project settings by going to Project Tab, Properties Group then click on Project Information Command; a dialogue window will appear. Go to schedule from and change it to Project Finish Date instead of Project Start Date then identify the project finish date.

Hope this will help. 

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:03 PM
  • I agree, that you should enter Start and/or Finish Date rarely and be very careful on that. But as Jan saide, confirm start date, and than enter finish date. But in that case, you should be prepared than your schedule with predecessors and successors of that task may have different "schedule" than you expect. Specialy when you change Resources (assign or reassign them), change duration of those Task etc.

Best Advice: Do not touch start and end date if you can

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:03 AM