Moving a site - lost Lists RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to move a site en masse and I was told by my IT Admin that I could just copy and paste the stuff by going to \\<server>\<site> to each of the sites.

The problem is, I copied some lists as well and those lists did not work on the new site. So I overwrote the contents on the source location as well and now I have completely lost the lists, on old and on new site.

Is there a way to salvage the lists? We are using SharePoint 2007.

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

well if at the source location you have lost the contents then you need to restore it at the content database level if you have not taken the backup earlier.

If this is your production environment then you can restore the content database to some other environment like Staging or dev. Then you can save the list as a template.

You can download this template on your machine and you can restore it to to your source and destination site.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Rashu.Rahul.

In addition, we don’t suggest that you copy and paste the content by going to the UNC path of each site.

There are several methods you can use to move a site, the Backup and Restore feature in Office SharePoint Designer 2007 is the best way to move an individual site or subsite from one server to another, but this method has limitations.

With stsadm.exe  tool, you can back up or restore one site collection at a time, meaning one top-level site and all its subsites.

Or you can use  Site Contents and Structure feature to move a site.

For the detailed information, check out the following articles:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/back-up-restore-or-move-a-sharepoint-site-HA010069939.aspx#_Toc266876707

http://blog.sharepoint-recovery.com/2007/12/11/how-to-move-a-site-in-moss-2007-its-that-simple/

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

well if at the source location you have lost the contents then you need to restore it at the content database level if you have not taken the backup earlier.

If this is your production environment then you can restore the content database to some other environment like Staging or dev. Then you can save the list as a template.

You can download this template on your machine and you can restore it to to your source and destination site.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Rashu.Rahul.

In addition, we don’t suggest that you copy and paste the content by going to the UNC path of each site.

There are several methods you can use to move a site, the Backup and Restore feature in Office SharePoint Designer 2007 is the best way to move an individual site or subsite from one server to another, but this method has limitations.

With stsadm.exe  tool, you can back up or restore one site collection at a time, meaning one top-level site and all its subsites.

Or you can use  Site Contents and Structure feature to move a site.

For the detailed information, check out the following articles:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/back-up-restore-or-move-a-sharepoint-site-HA010069939.aspx#_Toc266876707

http://blog.sharepoint-recovery.com/2007/12/11/how-to-move-a-site-in-moss-2007-its-that-simple/

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 8, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Ok, so it looks like I might have lost the contents of the lists. I will check with the IT folks if there was a backup they can restore.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:39 PM