Odd file association? How does that work RRS feed

• Question

• I picked up a program called keepass recently, a password manager.
    It keeps all it's data in '.kdbx' files.... i.e.  david.kdbx.

I'd like to be able to click on the file and have keepass.exe open it; however,
    when I try to associate the extension with that executable, the ui insists that
    adobe open it.

I'm running the released version of windows 7, obtained through the partner's
    website.

repro:
    install keepass.exe
    run it to create a new kdbx file
    go to control panel/programs/default programs/make a file type always open in a specific program
    select the .kdbx extension
    click 'change program' (because at the moment, it's associated with adobe reader 9.1
    click 'browse' and browse to the correct .exe
    click open

observe that the 'Open With' window still has Adobe Reader 9.1 set as the recommended program,
    and that the 'Other Programs' section is blank.

thanks in advance
    david
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:05 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

I found the KeePass 1.16 from following link:

http://keepass.info/download.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If it is the program you mentioned, when installing the program, it asks for "associate keepass with .KDB files extension":

As it is not the KDBX as you mentioned, please check if we made a mistake on the file extension.

Also after deleting the registry keys, let's test to remove and reinstall the program to see if it will associate file extension automatically.

Note: Before remove the program, if there is any saved password, please make sure they are all backed up in-case we cannot access the files after reinstalling.

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:38 AM

All replies

• WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Please delete all the following keys in Regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.kdbx

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.kdbx

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.kdbx

Then try to start a ".kdbx" file again. It should ask for a program to open it. Let's choose keepass.exe this time. Remember choose "Always use this program to open this kind of files".

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:23 AM
  • well, that should have worked, but it didn't.

I cleared the registry entries, which did cause windows to ask me for another file association.

The .exe doesn't show up in the 'Open with' list, so I browse to the executable and select it.
    But when you return to the 'Open with' dialog, the .exe is still not in the list, and so the file association
    still cannot be made.

In fact, I see what happened before.  After selecting the keepass .exe, and returning to the 'Open with' dialog,  
    i'd hit 'okay' without noticing that the .exe wasn't in the 'Open with' dialog.  Acrobat Reader (the
    first item in the list) had still been selected, and that is why the odd file association happened.

So, I guess the real question is, why is it that keepass.exe can't show up in the 'Open With' dialog?

thanks
    david

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hi David,

I found the KeePass 1.16 from following link:

http://keepass.info/download.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If it is the program you mentioned, when installing the program, it asks for "associate keepass with .KDB files extension":

As it is not the KDBX as you mentioned, please check if we made a mistake on the file extension.

Also after deleting the registry keys, let's test to remove and reinstall the program to see if it will associate file extension automatically.

Note: Before remove the program, if there is any saved password, please make sure they are all backed up in-case we cannot access the files after reinstalling.

Friday, October 2, 2009 7:38 AM