none
MDT 8450 Windows 10 1803 Deployment Issues. Domain Join RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am trying to deploy the new Windows 10 1803 image, however I am having a little trouble. I have MDT 8450 build (latest) & Windows 1803 ADK. Basically when I go to Deploy, everything seems to get work except domain join. It will finish deployment but not join my to my domain. It also seems to get stuck for awhile on the "Getting Ready" screen a lot longer than 1709 did. 1709 was working perfectly. Any advice or is anybody else having this issue?

Monday, May 7, 2018 3:31 PM

Answers

• I had to change a settings in my customsettings.ini. I changed JoinDomain=mydomain to JoinDomain=mydomain.local . For some reason, this newer version of the 1803 or Windows ADK can't associate without the .local part. In previous versions, this worked just fine, however not in 1803. Hope this helps. 1803 deploys perfectly now.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:36 PM

All replies

• You may want to check setupact and setuperr logs located in the Panther folder in order to troubleshoot domain join issues.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, May 7, 2018 3:42 PM
  • I figured it out. Apparently the new ADK could not differentiate between regular and .local domains.
    • Proposed as answer by tonibert Monday, May 7, 2018 7:35 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem. However, I haven't understand your answer.

Can you explain it more clearly? Does it work for you now?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:43 PM
  • I had to change a settings in my customsettings.ini. I changed JoinDomain=mydomain to JoinDomain=mydomain.local . For some reason, this newer version of the 1803 or Windows ADK can't associate without the .local part. In previous versions, this worked just fine, however not in 1803. Hope this helps. 1803 deploys perfectly now.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Will this affect any other deployments we do like Windows 7 and older 1703 versions?  We are running multiple operating systems still due to software limitations.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:01 PM
  • Indeed, it worked before I checked your answer haha. I haven't put my brain on ON mode.

Thanks a lot for the explanation ! I also precise that time is not so big on "Getting Ready" with the FQDN of the domain name.

In conclusion: everything is solved !

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:25 PM
  • I cannot verify that. I always try to stay up to date with the latest version of Windows. Should be ok with 7 or 8.1, however I am not sure if you can deploy 1703 with the newer 1803 ADK.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:44 PM
  • As usual ADKs are backwards compatible. You should not have any issues with older OSs. I, for one, am yet to encounter any problems wirh the 1803 adk....

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:00 PM
  • I tried the .local fix on our 1803 deployment from our test server and I am still having the same issue.  We can manually join the domain after the fact if needed, but would like a fix prior to using this in our live environment.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:41 PM
  • During OSD there are two possible locations where domain join happens: 

During the specialize phase when Windows goes through your unattend.xml and performs domain join. If this step fails, MDT will try to join the machine to domain after the first auto-logon via the "Recover from domain" step in your task sequence.

To troubleshoot your issue further, I would recommend collection logs from a failing machine.

Panther logs are useful for troubleshooting the first domain join attempt while BDD.log / ZTIDomainJoin.log might hold addition information.

Take a look at a blog article where I describe how to troubleshoot domain join issues: https://vacuumbreather.com/index.php/blog/item/62-the-case-of-just-a-moment

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:39 AM
  • For anyone else running in to this error, I found I also had to append .local on the 'DomainAdminDomain' value. I did also add it to 'UserDomain' as well, just in case. 
    Friday, July 27, 2018 3:17 PM
  • Good morning! When you said that you made the change to mydomain.local, did you put your name of your actual domain or did you leave it as mydomain.local in the customsettings.ini?
    Monday, April 8, 2019 11:54 AM
  • Speedy21d,

I had to insert my domain name.

Thanks

Monday, April 8, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Really? Ok. I didn't add my domain info in the customsettings.ini at all. Strange. I added the following lines in the customsettings.ini :

JoinDomain=yourdomainname.local
    DomainAdmin=ServiceAccount
    DomainAdminDomain=yourdomainname.local
    DomainAdminPassword=P@$$WoRD12345!

Once I added those lines, during the setup process in MDT, I added the domain,domain admin domain, domain admin, & password & it added it to the domain. Went into the settings to see that it added it to the domain. Restarted the computer & it had the network login screen. SMH. I've been trying to get this work for weeks. You were very helpful & pointed me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

Monday, April 8, 2019 5:43 PM
  • I'm glad I could help!
    Monday, April 8, 2019 5:49 PM
  • Quick Question, Is there a way in MDT to turn on/off windows features in the image creation process to make sure SMB Client is selected? I'm new to MDT & taught myself how to use it a few weeks ago. That's why I have so many questions. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
    • Edited by Speedy21d Monday, April 8, 2019 6:08 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 6:00 PM