View All Site Content Access Denied Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a permissions group that can edit our homepage so have given them "edit" permissions on the pages, documents and images libraries. 

However, they cannot "View All Site Content".  This option is not displayed in the Site Actions dropdown.

The reason I want to give them access to view all site content is because this group can edit the homepage to change it from the 'normal' homepage to a 'civil defence' themed homepage by changing the page layout used.

The first issue I had was that this page needed a different workflow from the rest of the pages within this site.  Therefore I added a new workflow based on the content type 'WDC Homepage' and the user has to navigate to 'View All Site Content', hover over the 'default.aspx' page then select 'Workflows' from the dropdown.  They then can select the workflow called 'Civil Defence Approval' to start the workflow on the homepage.  Hence why I wanted them to view all site content.

However, they cannot view all site content.  The homepage is at site root so am weary about giving them too much access.

I tried to give them 'edit only' permissions on the whole site by clicking 'Site Actions > Site Settings > People and Groups > Site Permissions', finding the permission group and changing to "edit only".  However, this gave them access to 'Manage Content and Structure' with delete permissions and removed the ability for them to edit the homepage...

I've also tried to give them access to the whole site with 'view only' permissions and they can then access view all site content but it doesn't let them edit the homepage. 

Please note that when I changed the above settings, the pages library still had "Edit Only" permissions set for them so I would of assumed that they should still be able to edit the pages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS.  This is on SharePoint 2007 and I would need to find a fix for this now, as this is our current external-facing public website.  However, we are in the process of upgrading to SP2010 so would need to fix it in there as well - we are running two websites with the SP2010 version being releases externally at the end of November.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can create your own custom permission level you can specify your access level for any particualr list or item, after creating the custom permission level you can assign this permission level to that group.

Permission level can be build by GUI and Object model , you can use console application if you dont watnt to go with GUI, moreever it is one time activity.

Pleasey reply if it doesnot solve your query.

Krishana Kumar http://mosstechnet-kk.com
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:57 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:13 AM