emergency power shut down RRS feed

• Question

• I have a win server 2012 running Hyper-V.  In it, I have a proliferation of Virtual Machines.  Yesterday, a line of thunderstorms swept our area.  The possibility of a power crash was real. I started to shut down the server.  I assumed that the safe way to do it, was to first shut down each of the VMs and then the Hyper-V server, which I was able to do.  But it took longer than I wanted and it was frantic.  I plan to connect the server to a UPS battery backup that has an auto-shut down capability. This capability is implemented thru an usb interface.  How should I configure the interface.  Should I install the driver in each of the VMs, or will it suffice to install it in the Hyper-v server. If the Hyper-v server sees a shut down request from tne UPS auto-shut down, will it automatically shut down all the VMs?  Your answer will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.       Sincerely        Gabe Ruiz 
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Check out this article from APC on how to do what you want to do.

http://www.apc.com/site/support/us/en/faq/?page=content&country=ITB&lang=en&locale=en_US&id=FA159689&redirect=true

1. In Hyper-V Manager, right click on the VM and select Settings.
    2. Under Management check if Integration Services option is shown – if it is proceed to step 4.
    3. If Integration Services is not already installed:
      • Right click on the VM and select Connect.
      • In the console window select the Action menu and choose “Insert Integration Services setup disk”.
      • Double-click the VM guest disk to continue with the installation.
    4. In Hyper-V Manager, choose the VM and then "Settings". Click on the Integration Services option and ensure “Operating System Shutdown” is enabled.
    5. Choose "Automatic Stop Action" option under Management.
    6. Choose "Shut down the guest operating system".

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:07 PM