How to start page count with i, ii, iii, etc, and then change to 1, 2, 3, ....? RRS feed

• Question

• I developed a document in Word 2007 and want to start the page count with i, ii, iii, etc., for the index, and then change to 1, 2, 3, etc., for the main body of text. How can I do this? I have a PC.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:18 PM

Answers

• You need to read up on Section Breaks, they're are covered very well in Word > Help.

In essense you place a Next Page Section Break in the document where you want the new page numbering format to begin.  Then you open the header/footer in Section 2 of the document and you uncheck the "Link to Previous" toggle that is in the Header and Footer Tools tab on the Ribbon.  Note that this tab opens when you are actually in a Header or Footer.

Once you have successfully unlinked Section 2 from Section 1 you can then add the appropriate Page Numbering scheme that you want to use for each section of the document.

Hope this helps 

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Marked as answer by willdrp Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:33 PM

All replies

• You need to read up on Section Breaks, they're are covered very well in Word > Help.

In essense you place a Next Page Section Break in the document where you want the new page numbering format to begin.  Then you open the header/footer in Section 2 of the document and you uncheck the "Link to Previous" toggle that is in the Header and Footer Tools tab on the Ribbon.  Note that this tab opens when you are actually in a Header or Footer.

Once you have successfully unlinked Section 2 from Section 1 you can then add the appropriate Page Numbering scheme that you want to use for each section of the document.

Hope this helps 

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    • Marked as answer by willdrp Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Worked great! thanks!
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:54 PM