SQLSMS File associations / Opens more than one instance RRS feed

• Question

• Morning,

When our developers are opening SQL files - PRC, UDF (.SQL files are fine), each time opens a new instance of sql server management studio 2005.

The machines are Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit. SQL Server 2005 SP3.

The file associations were added to SSMS by the user, and were correct in file associations. After some research, I tried a few things..

http://www.developmentalmadness.com/archive/2009/06/30/tip-open-sql-files-in-visual-studio.aspx - This I did and it causes the machine to completely freak out and I cannot undo it!! If I try to change the default file association by right-clicking a file, it is greyed out!

Also, I removed the file associations in SSMS and readded them, but now both PRC and UDF do not show in file associations.

I then tried the 5th post here, and this also had no affect what-so-ever.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadesktopui/thread/61871e48-33e6-4a32-8e5a-b7ae5aa398f4

Please can someone help?

- Need to get PRC and UDF back into file associations.

- Need to change the file association that is currently greyed out.

- Would really like them to open in the same instance of SSMS. If I open these files as an administrator, it works fine.

When installing and during first open, I did receive a compatibility warning, if this may help?

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

I would like to suggest you can post your issues to SQL Server forum to get more professional help.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

I would like to suggest you can post your issues to SQL Server forum to get more professional help.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Thank you. I did wonder if I had the correct forum.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:45 PM