after removing the name of the previous user I now cannot login to windows after rebooting RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi I recently got a computer from my brother and wanted to reset all the names to my own for the login and computer administrator etc... now I cannot get past the reboot login to windows page any one have any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried my info and passwords and also my brothers old info and password all to no avail.....need to get back on this cp to finish my documents ....plz help
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to boot in Safe Mode, log in with the built in administrator account "Administrator" if your friend has not set password for it.

Information for advanced users about the changes to the built-in administrator account in Windows Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

Then, create a new account.

However, if the Administrator account is password protected either, we have no method to boot in the system. The only way is reinstall the system.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest that you create a new user profile, name it with your name. Then transfer the personal data from the old profile to the new one.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel. 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Log on as the new user account (make sure the new user account has administrator privilege).

2. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

3. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

4. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

5. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: The "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Larry", the folder should be C:\Users\Larry.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Note: To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V. Replace them with the new files.

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the reply but I am unable to get to the start tab or control panel...the previous oner had the password set as it boots into windows and that is where it is stuck....

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

Try to boot in Safe Mode, log in with the built in administrator account "Administrator" if your friend has not set password for it.

Information for advanced users about the changes to the built-in administrator account in Windows Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

Then, create a new account.

However, if the Administrator account is password protected either, we have no method to boot in the system. The only way is reinstall the system.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:49 AM