exchange 2007 question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a exchange 2007 box on a 2008 domain currently, I'm upgrading the domain controller to 2012 shortly and want to know is it as simple as disconnecting the exchange server from the old domain and adding it to the new one? Will exchange pickup up Active Directory and just start working again or is there some sort steps i need to go through to enable exchange to keep going?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:08 AM

Answers

• What you propose will absolutely NOT work.

When you install Exchange, you install it into a particular domain (or forest actually).

The Exchange server can only interact with the domain controllers (global catalog servers) of that domain.

You cannot simply place the server in another, or a brand new domain and expect it to function.

That will never work.

As mentioned in the preceding post, you add your new server as an *additional* domain controller to the *existing* domain.

It would be preferable to have two domain controllers so you can keep the existing domain controller if there is no good reason not to.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Disconnecting will not work, what you have to do is install the windows 2012 as Additional Domain controller and make it as GC too. then move all the FSMO roles from 2008 DC to 2012 DC, then try to restart the AD topology service in your exchange or reboot the exchange.

Note: wait for the AD contents to get replicated to another DC before de-commissioning 2008DC.

----------------------------------

If this post is useful, please hit the green arrow on the left.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:07 AM
  • What you propose will absolutely NOT work.

When you install Exchange, you install it into a particular domain (or forest actually).

The Exchange server can only interact with the domain controllers (global catalog servers) of that domain.

You cannot simply place the server in another, or a brand new domain and expect it to function.

That will never work.

As mentioned in the preceding post, you add your new server as an *additional* domain controller to the *existing* domain.

It would be preferable to have two domain controllers so you can keep the existing domain controller if there is no good reason not to.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Le Pivert is right !

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Hi Gzod,

Any updates?

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:10 AM