none

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2012 R2.

I'm going to backup a VM running in Cluster ( Windows 2012 R2 ). when i run the backup , it's getting failed. it says "Replica is inconsistent"

i tried with remove and re add in to the PG. still same.

below Error details collected from Alerts.

Affected area:    \Offline\ADVM_01
    Occurred since:    6/8/2015 1:50:12 AM
    Description:    The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Offline\ADVM_01Test on node01 is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
        DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The shadow copy provider timed out while flushing data to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive activity on the volume. Try again later when the volume is not being used so heavily.
     (0x80042313))
        More information
    Recommended action:    Check the Application Event Log on node01 for the cause of the failure. Fix the cause and retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
        Synchronize with consistency check.
        Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
    Resolution:    To dismiss the alert, click below
        Inactivate

please advise me.

Regards, COMDINI

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That error is coming from Windows volume shadow copy service and says that one of the disks that is being snapshotted is under heavy IO. I would look in the guest for system event log message from source volsnap, or in application log from source VSS to see what volume is effected.   Try to determine what is causing heavy IO and then see if you take a backup at off peak hours works.

Worst case is you can uncheck the integration component option backup(volume checkpoint) so VSS snapshots are not initiated in the guest.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Hi

i tried with unchecked the"Backup (Volume checkpoint)".

still problem same.

in the event viewer shows as below message now.

Event ID 8

"The flush and hold writes operation on volume  timed out while waiting for a release writes command."

Regards, COMDINI

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

VSS has a 10 second timeout for flushing outstanding writes to the disk and hold back new writes.

Please try to defrag the volume noted in the event, and then use resource monitor to see what the heavy IO is while attempting to make a backup. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Hi Mike ,

this problem happening for only few VMs running on NODE. some VMs are running in backup.

Regards, COMDINI

Friday, June 12, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hi Mike,

"VSS has a 10 second timeout for flushing outstanding writes to the disk and hold back new writes.

Please try to defrag the volume noted in the event, and then use resource monitor to see what the heavy IO is while attempting to make a backup."

could you please advise me on defrag the volume.

Regards, COMDINI

Saturday, June 13, 2015 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

From an administrative command prompt run the following against the volume drive letter in the vss event ID8 message.

Defrag X: /u /v  (Where X: is the drive letter of the volume you want to defrag)

Monday, June 15, 2015 2:54 AM