Can't modify/delete Outlook 2010 Contact Group RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a user who created a new Contact Group in Outlook 2010 and now can't modify or delete the group.  Other groups she's created before or since do not exhibit this behavior.  Also, when you bring up the properties of the group, the window looks different than the other groups and the icon in the top left of the window just has the card with no people in front of it.

Thanks

Friday, March 18, 2011 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A Contact Group, known in previous Outlook versions as a distribution list, is a grouping of e-mail addresses collected under one name. A message sent to a Contact Group goes to all recipients listed in the group. You can include Contact Groups in messages, task requests, meeting requests, and in other Contact Groups.

Refer to the link below that about How to Create and Manage Contact Groups in Outlook 2010

Sincerely,

Harry

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:16 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A Contact Group, known in previous Outlook versions as a distribution list, is a grouping of e-mail addresses collected under one name. A message sent to a Contact Group goes to all recipients listed in the group. You can include Contact Groups in messages, task requests, meeting requests, and in other Contact Groups.

Refer to the link below that about How to Create and Manage Contact Groups in Outlook 2010

Sincerely,

Harry

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:16 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi Harry, thank you for the link. Like DFW63, I also would like to know how to delete a contact group. The link you provided, while helpful, doesn't address our need. Can contact groups be deleted? If not, can they be hidden?

Thanks very much,

m

• Proposed as answer by BigJerinPA Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BigJerinPA Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BigJerinPA Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BigJerinPA Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Hi!

I have also searched high & low for any material addressing the management of contacts groups in MS Outlook 2010. I have found nothing that addresses the deletion or removal of a contacts group, other than how to create a contacts group and add/delete members to/from it.

Is the bottom line such that one can create a contacts group but not delete it or even remove it from view?

Thank you and g'day!

Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:45 PM
  • I hope someone knows the answer to this.  We recently installed a new server and now none of our Groups work.  I've had to create all new ones and it's very confusing as to which is the correct one.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi Harry, thank you for the link. Like DFW63, I also would like to know how to delete a contact group. The link you provided, while helpful, doesn't address our need. Can contact groups be deleted? If not, can they be hidden?

Thanks very much,

m

Hi to all, I have exactly the same problem, due to some 'bug' everytime I synch my iphone I seem to get extra "emtpy" group entries and do not know how to delete them. Now my Outlook is very slow to respond and gets irresponsive. Very annoying...

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:16 AM
  • I realize this is 3 years in the making, but I just ran into the same issue and it was driving me crazy!  I end up figuring out that if I Moved the Contact Group from one contact list to another...even though it gave error on the move, it seemed to move it.

Then, I went to that contacts list that I moved it to and it was there and it let me delete it.

Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Sam

• Proposed as answer by Samuel - MCSE Monday, August 25, 2014 3:19 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 3:19 PM
  • This seemed to work.  Start writing a new e-mail to the group.  Right click on the group's name in the 'To...' field of the message and the option to delete group should appear.  Hope that helps.
    • Proposed as answer by hlintrup Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:32 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Select the group that you wish to delete in the left hand ribbon. Left click "open in new window". Select "Edit Group" from top menu. In the bottom left corner of the new window, click "Delete group"
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:06 PM